Missing Front Skid Plate???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saltwater Soul

Reaction score
I just yesterday purchased a 2018 Expedition Max Platinum 4x4 (21k miles) and I peeked under the engine. There is a big void there where I am used to seeing a skid plate or at least a barrier of some kind.

For those of you with similar vehicle, do you have a skid plate or barrier there? I'm wondering if I am missing something.

I am not too worried about serious off roading but drive a lot on the beach. I know how much sand and salt find there way up into the engine area. My other vehicles always had something.

I figured out the jack was missing so I'm talking with the dealer tomorrow. If this is also missing, I want to bring it up at the same time.

Front Skid Plate.jpg

OP
OP
S

Saltwater Soul

Reaction score
Thanks. I had previously read that thread (and saved it) with a lot of interest but could not confirm that the Platinum version did not have some sort of protection. Seemed that everyone posting there had something slightly different.

Can I assume that "only" the FX4 version has any protection and that I am not missing something? Please be patient with me -- only two days into ownership.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. I had previously read that thread (and saved it) with a lot of interest but could not confirm that the Platinum version did not have some sort of protection. Seemed that everyone posting there had something slightly different.

Can I assume that "only" the FX4 version has any protection and that I am not missing something? Please be patient with me -- only two days into ownership.
No worries on the newbie questions, we’ve all been there.

You are correct, only the FX4 has the skids. It sucks too... I got a Navigator Reserve and I only have a couple of the skids, I’m missing the big one in the front. I do enough off pavement driving that I’m going to add all the ones I’m lacking.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Your Platinum isn't missing any underbody shields in the area that you photographed. As you can imagine, this is why there is so much interest in adding skid plates.

Orestes

Reaction score
I just yesterday purchased a 2018 Expedition Max Platinum 4x4 (21k miles) and I peeked under the engine. There is a big void there where I am used to seeing a skid plate or at least a barrier of some kind.

For those of you with similar vehicle, do you have a skid plate or barrier there? I'm wondering if I am missing something.

I am not too worried about serious off roading but drive a lot on the beach. I know how much sand and salt find there way up into the engine area. My other vehicles always had something.

I figured out the jack was missing so I'm talking with the dealer tomorrow. If this is also missing, I want to bring it up at the same time.

View attachment 33503
I have the same problem with my new 2023 expedition limited 4x4, it's hard to find a skid plate for this model and year, I can't find anyone who manufactures skid plate for this model, I understand that it is not an off road model but I can't find a solution, if someone know can tell me, thank you

Attachments

• IMG_5408.PNG
    IMG_5408.PNG
    566.9 KB · Views: 6

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Contact the folks at rci. You'll find them all over here and look for my posts. Their products are solid as heck. They may not be a perfect bolt on solution for everything, as just like Ford they probably try to cut manufacturing costs by having as few customizations as possible. Regardless they may already be working on 23 stuff.