Moog front hubs any good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll probably go this route with Moog. I can't imagine they'd be any worse than the Motorcraft hubs. My Expy only has 50k miles, so not too impressed at this point with the Motorcraft hubs.

When you get them on and put some miles on them write back and let us know how they are.

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Will do. They should arrive this week and I'll get them installed when I have some free time. I'll be interested to get the old hubs off to see how bad the bearings are.

jar0023

Reaction score
I have a little over 20k on a set of Moog front hub bearings. One of my factory fronts went from nice and quiet to holy crap that's loud seemingly overnight at around 80k. Currently just over 100k on a 2018 FX4. Zero issues since the install. Straight bolt on so easy enough for the at home mechanic. Just don't over torque the small axle nut.

mbtech2003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do NOT use Moog they have a lifetime replacement warranty but you will spend a lifetime replacing them. I gave up on any Moog parts 15 years ago. I use WJB or SCHAEFFLER for wheel bearings from Rockauto. I’ve had 0 issues with them.

bryz_expy

Reaction score
Curious on how you are determining it to be the hub. I am asking because I have asked my dealer 4 times to identify the issue and they keep brushing it off as other items. “No issue found”, “Oh it’s the tires” , I just put brand new Michelins and it’s the same as previous set. “It may be the rotors and runout on them”.

I have read about axle /differential bearings as well. Mine isn’t audible so much, but more grumbling like that resonates up and I can feel it in the accelerator pedal as a vibration especially at hwy speed.

When I told the dealer I can feel the vibration in the accelerator, the quick response was “impossible, it’s a drive by wire system”. So it kind of shows you the level of understanding I’m dealing with. ☹️

After explaining I know it’s Drive by wire but there is a harmonic type vibration being felt is when they stated the rotor runout issue. I asked them to put chassis ears on the parts but I feel like since brakes are coming up soon I’ll replace rotors just to rule it out.

Herby

Reaction score
I find the best replacement Hub Wheel Bearings to purchase are TIMKEN hubs. I replaced my right rear hub at 100k and at 218k, it is still rolling strong. I read somewhere that TIMKENs are used as OEM parts for my 2007 Ford Expedition. Moog parts are made in China and I hear sooooo many complaints regarding their longevity.

WEDGE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I call bullcrap on the dealer.... i just had my front driver side wheel bearing replaced last month with no wait time. I would definately try a different dealer.
False. These ARE on backorder. The supplier that makes them for Ford is past due, with no E.T.A. in sight.
If your dealer replaced yours recently, that means they had one in stock at the time. We cannot order any more and give an accurate ETA. Yes I work for FORD

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
MOOG is hit or miss these days as you never know what's going to be in the box. At one point I had 3 MOOG wheel hub assemblies - all in identical boxes with identical part numbers - with 3 different assemblies. One was made by MOOG, another by SKF and and another by Timkin.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curious on how you are determining it to be the hub. I am asking because I have asked my dealer 4 times to identify the issue and they keep brushing it off as other items. “No issue found”, “Oh it’s the tires” , I just put brand new Michelins and it’s the same as previous set. “It may be the rotors and runout on them”.

I have read about axle /differential bearings as well. Mine isn’t audible so much, but more grumbling like that resonates up and I can feel it in the accelerator pedal as a vibration especially at hwy speed.

When I told the dealer I can feel the vibration in the accelerator, the quick response was “impossible, it’s a drive by wire system”. So it kind of shows you the level of understanding I’m dealing with. ☹️

After explaining I know it’s Drive by wire but there is a harmonic type vibration being felt is when they stated the rotor runout issue. I asked them to put chassis ears on the parts but I feel like since brakes are coming up soon I’ll replace rotors just to rule it out.
Does the vibration change in 4A vs 2wd??

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does the vibration change in 4A vs 2wd??
Yeah. You still get the normal drive line noise added to the equation when the front driveline is engaged & spinning in 4A. The bearing hub noise is still present when in 2wd.

Last edited: