More power! electrically that is

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Check the voltage at the battery before and after the lights are on. It will tell you your voltage drop and how the battery/alternator are handling the extra load. Then it just needs to be determined if its within acceptable limits.

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have seen those kits for the bigger alternator. My battery is a piece of crap. I do need a new one and if i did get a new one i mine as well get two.

Two are not required, and you would pay a big price to do it in terms of $$, space, and headache. To do it right, you would need to install an isolation system, yada yada. For that load, you should be OK.

I am planning to install a couple of 250 watt halogen landing lights behind my grill. Since they will only be used sporadically, I am not going to change a thing to the electrical system, with the exception of the installation of the lights themselves and the associated relays and heavy wiring. They will be switched on through a switch connected to the high beams. On, they will present almost a 50 amp load. But, they do produce a bit of light......and heat.

on1wheel01

Reaction score
Yea as said big 3, that's the first thing I do when building one of my ledgendary audio set ups lol. But don't buy a cheap eBay alt. Get a good one, mech man irragi on those lines.

OP
OP
splintrcel

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will do some checking with how my truck handles the load. I bigger alternator would be nice to have anyways. Thanks guys.

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Big White, will you consider going with HIDs or LEDs behind there? They are equally as bright and less current and heat.

OP
OP
splintrcel

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I want 4 rectangle lights for the roof rack that are high powered driving lights. What lights should i throw up there

OP
OP
splintrcel

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Only cosmetics. I like the look of four. Two would just appear too spread out to me.

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Big White, will you consider going with HIDs or LEDs behind there? They are equally as bright and less current and heat.

What I have is a pair of these:
34537 - GE Q4631 Quartzline 250w PAR36 Screw Terminals Bulb for $186.95

There is no way LED's are going to keep up with them. I can see deer mating in the woods with them. They are really retina scorchers. You can tell when they are on just by standing in front of them, so not very efficient, BUT: They turn on instantly, so they can track my high beams. HID's would not be suitable as they (the high beams) go on /off too fast. The switch will be armed only when the high beams are on, and will have a high/low select for one or both lamps.

The last time I employed one of these bulbs was on a Plymouth horizon 25+ years ago. Reliving my youth I guess.

I suppose I would win MOST light wars when someone is blazing the other way, eh? (Kidding - they really are blinding) 80000 candlepower each.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1