More power! electrically that is

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a six pack of lights i got for my truck that go around the vehicle to give a surrounding light source. It works pretty well but each light is 55 watt (halogen) and draw quite a bit of juice. Would a dual battery setup add a little brightness to them or do i need a larger alternator then the stock one. The lights are wired in two groups of three. On each branch the lights are in parallel. The system draws a total of 330 watts (27 amps) off a 12 volt system. I also wanted to add 4 forward aiming driving lights so i want to have plenty of juice to go around. If it helps i was using the lights only at idle because i was lighting a work area. i will throw up pics of my setup once i find my iphone cord. I did use two relays btw for powering the lights, i am not ghetto.

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you will need to do both!!! bigger alt and another battery...

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seeing as your running lights i would do battery...that will give you longer run time...then alt 2nd...are you using them when the truck is off?

OP
OP
splintrcel

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I only have been using them when the truck is on. My current battery sucks so bad.

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the voltage at the battery when the truck is running?
How long do the lights stay on when you are running them?
The 130 amp alternator should cover it.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do it in stages and see what happens...upgrade/get better battery 1st...i have sears die hard...best battery i have used in any vehicle ive owned...then move to alt...then double batter...big-3 upgrade too

OP
OP
splintrcel

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have seen those kits for the bigger alternator. My battery is a piece of crap. I do need a new one and if i did get a new one i mine as well get two.