MPG post for you smart people

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

I thought I would ask this and let you guys who are smart help me out!!! I am not looking for a miracle. I know I have a 6000 pound truck. Lets start with spark plugs. I can handle that. That wont hurt anything I am sure. I mean I am almost to 70K. Next, fuel filter? Where might I find that on a 00 4.6? PCV valve, is that easy to change? I know someone left instructions. I would also be willing to take some pics for the dummies like me!!!

I also know the tire pressure is important. Am I leaving anything out? Thanks folks!!

OP
OP
G

I hate to tell you this, but in my experience the small engine (4.6L) will get poorer mpg than the 5.4L. The reason is very simple. A 6000 lb Xp is WAY too heavy for that small engine. The 4.6 is screaming to propel the 3 ton behemoth even at highway speeds.

On the other hand the 5.4L has no problem motivating the Expedition. It has ample torque (more than it's competitors Tahoe/Sukquoia/etc.)

My 5.4L '03 X gets 17 mpg at 75-80 mph HWY driving. Most of the folks I've talked to that have 4.6 L are lucky to get that. Several have said they average 15 HWY.

If I were you, obviously a tune up with plugs, fuel filter, etc. But then after that I'd seriously consider a cold air intake and a Power Programmer...possibly a high flow exhaust.

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Should be on the inside frame rail of the drivers side. Word of warning...you need a special tool to remove it.

Texaskid05

Reaction score
Once again XP thats a load of bull, I get 20-21 HWY with my little 4.6. The engine does not strain to pull the 3 ton truck (Who thinks up this garbage) Of course my friend also has the 4.6 in his f150 and gets alot worse milage then me but he pulls a 26 ft fith wheel and has the 3:73 rear end. While mine is a 3:31 rear end. I guess its all how its set up, After all a 2 cyl could move a mountain with enough gears It would just take a lifetime to do it.

b_salgado

Reaction score
Hey texas.... is it 2 WD or 4WD? this is gonna make a huge difference! Of course gearing plays a big part in this equasion! Now take your Epedition and place a 2500Lb trailer behind it. Then let us know how your MPG does. Then after you get over the shock of those #'s let me know how you did pulling the slightest grade with it! I get 22 MPG with a 4x4 5.4 running at 75 MPH loaded with 4 people and all our stuff. I drive from NC to MA straight through the mountains. The 4.6 is way underpowered for these trucks. They are designed to carry people, gear and tow. Why Ford ever offered this configuration in a vehicle this size is beyond me! The 5.4 will not work half as hard and yeild much better fuel economy than a 4.6 when loaded.

OP
OP
G

your crazy. That 4.6 seems to be doing just fine in that truck out there. I would bet about anything says I can better milage than a 5.4.

4 wheel drive and a bigger motor are great for snow and towning, other than that, NOTHING.

b_salgado

Reaction score
Gee It seems I just had this conversation the other day..... and I proved my point in a real time situation. I'll try to explain this as easy as possible. If you have a volkswagon with a v6 and the same volkswagon with a 4 cyl, which one is gonna get better mileage?......... I know, it's the 4 cyl, right?...... WRONG! A V6 doesn't have to work as hard to move the same weight so it is not going to labor or struggle to move the vehicle. The same holds true to just about every other vehicle on the road. My wife has a Taurus with a 3.0 Duratech V6, my best friend has a Taurus SHO with a V8..... who do you think gets better fuel mileage?..... The SHO gets 29-32 MPG......... My wifes gets 24-26. Same car..... same year..... same weight...... same options....... V6vs V8. Ok here's another example if your still not convinced...... My father in law has a a F-150 2WD extended cab pickup with a 4.6 in it. He tows a 21 Ft Procraft bass boat with it. He might get 10 MPG towing. I tow it and get 14. I know I know.... your comparing a pick up to an Expedition...... EXACTLY! The expedition is 2500 lbs heavier and it has a bigger motor and it's 4x4........ and still get better mileage! Oh by the way.... he has the exact same differential gearing as I do.... 3.73. So once again.....The 4.6 Triton V8 is an underpowered motor for a vehicle the size and weight of an Expedition! It has been proven and I have tested it myself and friends of mine have tested it and friends of theirs have tested it. Oh and by the way.... I am not crazy.... If you stop and think before opening your mouth this will all make perfect sense.

5.0X

Reaction score
Boy I wish that ALL the Expeditions came with trip computers. I'd be real easy to take a picture and post what your computer's MPG calc is telling you.

For me, I'm lucky to get 14-15 on the highway, unloaded. The truck does only have 2000mi on it.

Ry.