MPG post for you smart people

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texaskid05

Reaction score
Okey so you have this v-6 and you have a 4 and the 6 gets better milage for not working as hard,, But what if the 4 had oh say 3:31 rear end gears and the 6 had 4:10 gears,,then the 4 gets better gas milage,,oh my gawd can that be right??? there is more to theese milage claims then just the engine. My exp has the small v-8 but it is 2 wheel drive has 3:31 rear end does not have a milage computer in it or any extras,,all I haul is golf clubs. I have no reason to fudge the numbers it gets great milage on the highway. 19-21 As far as being under powered,,yeah it is compared to my f150 with the 5.4 but so what,,I don't pull anything with it.

Lowandslow

Reaction score
The highest i have seen on the computer was 21 mpg and that was doing about 70 with nice cool evening air. I am seriously impressed if you are getting better than that. As far as the engine size, I think that at highway speeds you are just over coming the mechanical fricton of the gears and the air resistance so the 4 6 doesnt do too bad. The 5.4 is gonna do better when you put enough stuff in your truck to get out of the 4.6 power band. So if you are just staying in the cruising band they will preform equally. The important part is staying in that majical rpm.

Also i have been seen alot of things to improve milage, and i dont know if the are worth anything. Like vaporizers and stuff like that.

http://www.eagle-research.com/
I dont know if it is snake oil but it might be worth a try.

fooey

Reaction score
first post:
I had a 98 2wd with the 4.6, would get 18/19ish city/hwy, wife drove it in the city and I drove it on the highway trips.
She decided she wanted to trade it in on a newer body style. I was a little weary, even though the 98 had 120k on the clock and all I had ever had to change on it was the oil and 1 tire, did put in bosch platinum +4's just because, but never had a lick of trouble with it in the 4-5 years we had it.
Anywho, so we trade the 98 in on an '03 with 40k, and this beast get 13-14, no matter where you drive it...sheesh...
I have not gotten to change the plugs or check everything else out, but wtf is the problem...?

Also, this '03 does not seem to have near the pep/get up and go that the 98 had with 3 times the mileage...

My check list, as soon as I can create some free time, is to put in some platinum +4's like the 98, clean the maf, check/replace the air filter and...??

And man this independent rear suspension SUCKS!....