MPG ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2004 4.6
Float sensor must have failed, as the fuel gage is not accurate. Going to use trip mileage as an indicator
of fuel level. Is using 10 MPG a conservative number to estimate fuel usage?

EXP is only driven for local errands. I was thinking of refueling when the trip odometer read 130 miles. I might drive 130 miles per month.
Simple arithmetic: 130 miles @ 10 miles per gallon should leave me with about 1/2 tank (?).

For those of you who might be wondering why this cheapskate is not replacing the float, I don't need an $800 fuel gage to drive around town.

Last edited:

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hear you! 10 mpg is very conservative. I wouldn't hesitate at that... maybe push it to 12. Heck I'd say you're good at 14 buuuuttttt.... you never know....... I get about 14.2 around town.

OP
OP
Don Hall

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, BRIANGEE. I think I will stay with 10 for simple arithmetic. I will have a better idea of mileage after a few fill-ups.
Owned the 'o4 since new (18500 miles now) and never calculated MPG. If refueling was going to be several times once a month, then
your 14 suggestion would be useful. You might think getting gas was trivial, but at 86, and badly crippled with arthritis, it is a major concern.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, BRIANGEE. I think I will stay with 10 for simple arithmetic. I will have a better idea of mileage after a few fill-ups.
Owned the 'o4 since new (18500 miles now) and never calculated MPG. If refueling was going to be several times once a month, then
your 14 suggestion would be useful. You might think getting gas was trivial, but at 86, and badly crippled with arthritis, it is a major concern.

I think your safer at 10 MPG. It can get very low when you hit the lights. Better safe than sorry.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don, a 4.6 2 valve 2wheel drive should be getting at least 14 mpg city. I understand 10 though, I use both my gauge and odometer for gas ups. My 10 really is 10, I have 4 wheel drive, 5.4 and larger wheels. I have a cheap for us gas station 4 blocks away, I gas up every 120-150 miles. It may be that I was always broke as a kid, and couldn't afford gas, so nowadays I just like seeing a full tank.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Don Hall

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, John. A condition I have should have included in may first post: crank-no start with low fuel level. I'm not concerned about running out of gas, just concerned about
keeping fuel level near 1/2 tank. I have experienced crank-no start twice when the gage was just above the 1/4 mark, so I decided to keep the fuel level near 1/2 tank.
Dumb me..... not considering a faulty float means a faulty gage. When the needle was near the 1/4 mark, the Exp took only 12 gallons.

A side comment, when the Exp failed to start it always started after waiting about 10 minutes.

My daughter, aware of my fuel level concern, borrowed my Exp to move items from a house. She noticed the fuel level needle was slow moving down after 2 hours of driving. She kept the fuel level filled over 2 days, and all was well.

After hearing her report, that is when I decided to use the trip odometer as a measure for fuel level...... slow learner!

OP
OP
Don Hall

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don, a 4.6 2 valve 2wheel drive should be getting at least 14 mpg city. I understand 10 though, I use both my gauge and odometer for gas ups. My 10 really is 10, I have 4 wheel drive, 5.4 and larger wheels. I have a cheap for us gas station 4 blocks away, I gas up every 120-150 miles. It may be that I was always broke as a kid, and couldn't afford gas, so nowadays I just like seeing a full tank.

Thanks Steve. See my post above, and you may remember my crank-no start thread. When the trip odometer reads near 130, I'm visiting the Costco pump (where they pump fuel for cripples like me).