Musty Oily Smell coming into cabin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like your going to crawl under it, and look for oil leaks, particularly 75-90 weight gear oil from one of the differentials, assuming it's four wheel drive. Please post your year, model, 2 or 4 wheel. From where you posted its 2007-13?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
1955moose

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got it, if you close off all vents, do you still smell it?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the cabin air filter and/or replace. Then clean the condensate drain for the a/c. Spray a large amount of Simple Green in the vents including defrost to clean out the plenum box. You may have to do this a few times.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Check your CV shafts. The rubber boots are packed with grease. A small rip will spray, stinky smelling grease on undercarriage or back of wheel. Over time, the lack of grease will cause it to fail.

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could also be a heater core leak. Is the problem better or worse when you set the climate control to hot or cold? If it's worse while set to a higher temperature, your heater core could be leaking. Many people categorize coolant smelling like sweet, musty, or greasy/oily.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could also be a heater core leak. Is the problem better or worse when you set the climate control to hot or cold? If it's worse while set to a higher temperature, your heater core could be leaking. Many people categorize coolant smelling like sweet, musty, or greasy/oily.
To me, it smells like brown sugar and maple oatmeal.

chart75

Reaction score
Let me know what you find. My wife's 07 Limited 4WD w/202K started doing the same thing last week under all conditions.