My 2008 with 237k problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jomoski

Reaction score
I have a 2008 ford Expedition with 237,000 miles first owner. Truck was fine. I noticed a power steering fluid puddle on the passenger side. I Replaced with a bypass by using the Hayden unit and placed it the condenser .(the smaller one in front of ac condenser) I filled everything up and it was fine. No leaks (except residuals from air condenser) whining noise stopped steering was perfect. I went to test drive it and the throttle response wasn't there and when I got to the stop sign it dropped rpms and stalled. There's no check engine light or anything. It also starts back up perfectly and idles fine in the drive way but start to drive and it just goes dead. I disconnected the battery during the install and reconnected it thought this may be a sign I need a new battery.. I also thought maybe I did something. I don't know I need help

Plati

Reaction score
I can't figure out what you did or why.
If you had a power steering fluid leak, where was the leak & why didn't you repair that?

OP
OP
J

Jomoski

Reaction score
I did repair that the leak was from the power steering cooler in the ac condenser. I bypassed the cooler in the condenser and used a external oil cooler. I didn't have a problem with the ac so I didn't see a reason to waste money and replace condenser

Plati

Reaction score
I did repair that the leak was from the power steering cooler in the ac condenser. I bypassed the cooler in the condenser and used a external oil cooler. I didn't have a problem with the ac so I didn't see a reason to waste money and replace condenser
I never knew there was a power steering fluid cooling, no wonder I was confuso.
Thanks for updating me. Lots of eddycation on this Forum !!

StephanSloan

Reaction score
I have noticed similar problems after disconnecting the battery for a project. Hard starting, stalls and rough shifts when first driving the car - I was told the computer needed to reset some inputs and am lucky that the issues went away after a few miles of driving.
I hope you have similar good luck.

mrbadwrench

Reaction score
My '08 runs okay if you disconnect the battery and then drive without doing a computer re-learning, but gas mileage suffers. Here is general advice on re-learning that I was told for another vehicle and seemed to help.

Start the first time after re-connecting battery and let it idle in Park until the engine is up to running temp
Put it in Drive and hold the brake for a minute.
Put it in Reverse and hold the brake for a minute.
Drive at 40 MPH or less with frequent speed changes, stops, uphill and downhill if possible for at least 10 minutes.