My 2010 sounds like an actual diesel at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it’s possible but it sounds more severe to me. The bad camphasers normally make a “glug glug glug” diesel sound this is pretty nasty. I wouldn’t be fooling.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stinky_1

Stinky_1

Reaction score
So, I decided to test the VCT solenoids.

This test starts with both VCT solenoids connected.

When I put it in gear, hold one foot on the brake and lightly bring the rpm up you can hear the engine start clunking and clattering.

Unplugging the driver side VCT only, and perform the same test and no sound is heard

Return it to normal and the chattering returns

I then try the passenger side VCT expecting the sound to remain, but disconnecting that side also seems to make the sound dissappear.

As long as 1 VCT is unplugged I do not hear the sound heard from my other videos.

Does this seem weird to anyone else?

Oil pressure problems would have the sound there with at least one VCT connected still?

I'm still hoping to find a tester that doesn't break the bank. Figured I would try this test while I can. But I'm still baffled.

The sound isn't as loud. But hopefully you can hear the difference

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Maybe if you have low oil pressure it could be enough to operate 1 phaser but not both? It's a guess..

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you unplug one VCT solonoid that will disable both camphasers , these trucks have dual equal variable cam timing.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the video it gives a lot better insight to your situation. When you unplug one of those VCT solonoids it will no longer allow the camphasers on either end to advance or retard timing, they are both effectively “bypassed”. I would not recommend leaving those unplugged for any period of time where the engine will be under load.... looks like you found your issue, one of the VCT solonoids. Spec on those should be between 5-14 ohms.

OP
OP
Stinky_1

Stinky_1

Reaction score
Thanks jexpedition07, that explains a lot

So, with the results of my test, and looking at that other video for diagnosing the VCT, would we conclude that one or both of the solenoids are bad?

And, if that's the case, I still think locking the phasers is the answer as nobody seems to have bad things to say about that. And it will mean I don't need to replace these VCT either. They can be bad it won't make a difference.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks jexpedition07, that explains a lot

So, with the results of my test, and looking at that other video for diagnosing the VCT, would we conclude that one or both of the solenoids are bad?

And, if that's the case, I still think locking the phasers is the answer as nobody seems to have bad things to say about that. And it will mean I don't need to replace these VCT either. They can be bad it won't make a difference.

It’s your truck it’s up to you. I’ll say if it was my truck I’d pull the valve covers and replace the solonoids as it’s not a bad job and you’d still get the benefits of the vct.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Just replace the dang solenoids. $100 for two of them from Ford. Locking them out is hack stuff, and you're no hack. Once you get the valve cover off it's one screw, and if you don't drop the screw and lose it somewhere in the head you'll be done in a minute.

Maybe that $2 Red Dot oil finally caught up with you, eh?

Last edited: