My 2010 sounds like an actual diesel at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn’t do a phaser lockout if you paid me.

The TSB from Ford on 2008 or 2009 and later says to replace the solenoids. They seem to think the updated phasers don’t have a problem usually, just the solenoids.

Also, if you have a scanner than can see it, graph the VCTADVERR PIDs (1 and 2 I think). It will show you how the camshafts are advanced against where the computer wants them. It will probably be all over the place. I’d be really interested to see the graphs.

Food for thought.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Realize when you lockout the camphasers and disable the variable cam timing you Will have less HP/Torque as the engine utilized the VCT for the higher output. Your power will be closer to that of the older 2 Valves.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idk if you’ve ever driven a 2 valve, but the 3 valves blow the doors off of them. Not sure how much you will actually lose but it will be noticeable.

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The key to keeping a 5.4L happy is always staying on top of oil changes. I do Ford Motorcraft 5w-20 normally but recently switched to 5w-30 and use a FL-820s filter every 3,500 miles.
That what I do also, bought it used as a CPO with just 14,000 miles and had never used Motorcraft oil in the past but not wanting to give them an out on the better than new warranty that is what I used and I change it myself ,warranty is long gone now but don't believe in switching brands of oil and still change it every 5000 miles, also change the trans oil every 30,000 miles,just put new struts on the rear as it was bouncing around and changed the top radiator hose & serpentine belt just because AND that's all that has been done to it, BTW what was the reasoning for going to 5w-30 and how is it working out for you, thanks , John

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW what was the reasoning for going to 5w-30 and how is it working out for you, thanks , John

Research was the reason, I found 5w-30 was recommended for the 5.4L engines outside of the U.S. and Canada even with all of them being built in the Windsor facilities. FordTechMakuloco also recommend it as well as other forum members on multiple occasions. Not much change, I think it runs a tad quieter when hot than before (could be mental).

OP
OP
Stinky_1

Stinky_1

Reaction score
Also, if you have a scanner than can see it, graph the VCTADVERR PIDs (1 and 2 I think). It will show you how the camshafts are advanced against where the computer wants them. It will probably be all over the place. I’d be really interested to see the graphs.

Food for thought.

I'll see if one of my scanners will let me pull up the graphs for those.

The video I posted already shows the timing graph. Which is all over the place when it's acting up.

OP
OP
Stinky_1

Stinky_1

Reaction score
Runs good. Supposedly they loose a little top end power, but you could not prove it by me.

That's a quote from a guy that installed the phaser bypass and did not do the tune. Just added the shims and drove it.

Seems to me that the bypass does not leave it down on power

Note that the bypass is not the same as just unplugging the VCT. That would leave you down on power due to the timing not advancing. And still may cause phaser chatter due to leaky VCT.

OP
OP
Stinky_1

Stinky_1

Reaction score
Update,

I opened it up to install the phaser bypass. The passenger side cam chain is extremely loose.

Normally it should be tight. I am suspecting there is a leaky tensioner on that side so I have continued tearing the front cover off

Found a little surprise though, my harmonic balancer on the crankshaft does not have holes for a puller to be threaded into as I expected. Instead it has a lip on it for a hook type puller

I'll have to continue tomorrow when the parts store opens again.

Since I have to pull the front cover off anyway I am going to be replacing the chain, guides, tensioner and oil pump.

I intend to leave the phaser bypass in still since I have heard of people replacing everything and still having a tick.

I wasn't expecting to replace all these parts so the truck will sit in my garage for another week while I wait for them to arrive.

I will update with pics of what I find when I get it all pulled apart.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's really sad these days besides having try do a job that shouldn't have to, if Ford cared in the infancy stages of each engine design, but having to wait a week for parts, that the stores used to give discounts On that they dont anymore. Because of their greed we look online and wait. Kinda reminds me of repairing Honda/Yamaha motorcycles back in the 70's when we waited a week or more for parts.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Stinky_1

Stinky_1

Reaction score
.... but having to wait a week for parts, that the stores used to give discounts On that they dont anymore. Because of their greed we look online and wait.

Actually my local parts supplier can get me pretty much everything the same day (if I call before 8), or by the next day

The problem is the cost is 2-10 times more from them. So I'll wait for shipping online, and save my money