My 2nd most expensive endeavor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
My first most expensive endeavor is my expedition, that POS ran me triple its cost in repairs with all labor supplied by me.

The second endeavor which I didn't initially realize it will be so expensive was that recently my little brother moved out of my parents house into his own apartment, before he did I promised him as a good for you gift I'd do one thing to his apartment that is beyond what their maintenance staff can do for you... if he ever needed it.

Well he moved out recently and got a first floor apartment that has a reasonable size patio, he called me and asked for that one favor.... before I thought about it I said yes sure! The issue was: he wanted to add patio string lights to his patio, he has the furniture set, bond fire pit & all other goodies but its pitch black outside when its night time and the complex he's at will immediately terminate his lease if he "adds" an outdoor receptacle to his patio (as per his lease agreement)

So in turn, me "an industrial electrician" who've never ever worked residential before accepted the challange, all was great till I realized how the hell am I suppose to light up 60 bulbs which consume 3 watts each.... anyways I eventually got solar panels, a filter transformer, a step down transformer, a few diaodes & resistors, an inverter, a capacitor and a nema 4x enclosure to be mounted underground/beneath clay mud and dirt to house them all including a GFCI receptacle to power on some damn lights and a automated awning! All and all cost me $2700 and I must say this, if you're planning on converting your house power to solar be prepared to a the shock of your life.

No way did I ever expect it to be this complicated and frustrating....

Anyways I finally got it figured out for him now, he can set a timer for the lights to turn on and off once dusk hits and his solar panels should last him 8-10 hours of lights on power, or he can operate the lights and dim them as he demands with a flick of a remote controller OR he can use his phone to do whatever the hell his imagination can take him to! All I know is I'm not promising anyone anything unless I fully understand the consequences that come with it!

Pics below when I finally was in testing mode, once I had it figured out and correctly controlled we plugged in the 54 other light bulbs in.

20181009_223318.jpg

20181009_223332.jpg

20181009_223339.jpg

20181009_223342.jpg

Sadly reviewing my own pics, the camera doesn't show the different dimmings of the bulbs but they were at 25% output, 50% output and finally 100% output!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Silence! Ssshhh! The Expedition can hear you and it knows all!! I would have thought by now you would have learned to not say such things as though to displease it! You know it will punish you with more needless repairs otherwise!

***** bro I almost pissed my pants reading that!

OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Let me guess, you & me are in the same boat, we work 1st shift and everyone else we know & love works 2nd or 3rd shift, so we get bored and if we dont have a project to entertain us in the mean time we take it to expeditionforum.com to let out some of our love to "others"

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whaaaaat??

All you needed was 1 or 2 car batteries, a hundred bucks of chinese panels, 20 bucks of LEDs, a ten-buck timer and maybe a motion sensor

Transformers and inverters, what's with that madness? LED chips run great on the same 9 - 16v range both solar and car batteries give out with their "12v nominal"

OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
@Adieu bro u want the shit to last the entire lease time of a year or two (and then some) or do you want it to last only a week or two? Think logical bro the Chinese dont deliver QUALITY! I dont want to tell my little bro here its fixed then 2 weeks later having him call me back over non sense telling me it isnt working and what's not! When it comes to electronics its japanise made or its nothing!

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I feel for you brother....my promise to my brother cost me the parts & labor for a 3 fix bathroom but it wasn't as complicated as what you went through, nor nearly as expensive!

You guys are too "legal"...I'd have taken "ole Sal", my 1" B&D Roto-hammer, fit an appropriate bit and blasted a hole to the promised land(ie inside the bldg)of electrical wires run to existing receptacles....yup, 180 watts all served up for an easy connection followed by drywall patching and paint!

jeff

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Do you realize that only people who work with their hands will understand the pain and sense of accomplishment you endured?

Trust me, my friend. It's all good and you are blessed with knowledge, motivation and loyalty -- all traits that are too rare these days.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I understand. I may work in an office these days but started life working construction. My promise to my mother in law to help her out when father in law passed meant I spent weekends and money on things from plumbing, electrical, and yard maintenance.