my 97 ford expo died on me as i was driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
hey guys,
here are the symptoms of what is going on. in the last couple of months, when i try to turn it on sometimes the truck will turn over and rev up and die. i have to keep pressing the gas and cranking over to get it to start. when it does i smell a little bit of gas.

then i started hearing a ticking noise only when i pressed the gas as i was driving. the fater i drove the faster the ticking sound was made. it did not make a noise on idle.

yesterday while i was approaching my home. it just shut off on me. no indication, no sputtering just shut off. i was able to put it in neutral and turn it back on.

any clues guys.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First thing that comes to mind is the fuel pump, but the ticking noise confuses me a bit. Where is the ticking coming from? Engine compartment, or under the vehicle? Does it tick when in neutral and you give it gas?

OP
OP
I
Reaction score
im thinking the same thing when it comes to the fuel pump. unfortunatley any alley mechanic around me doesnt have the knowledge of how to check if the fuel pump is bad. i had done soem research and there are what called the schreader valves on the fuel rails. you can use these to check your pump. also the ticking noise is gone tho. it hasnt done is for a week now. it sounded like on the passengers side under the hood. im not sure if the weather has impacted this.

as far as the fuel pump goes. i can see where there may be a problem starting. but just shut off with no warning how does that happen. today it start ok. latley tho when im at the stop sign or light. i can feel the truck palpate a bit. meaning a slight stutter.

my truck has always had a high idle. when i start it revs up high and stays for a bit.

i am more concerend as to why it just died on me.

curtw48

Reaction score
Any chance the ticking noise could have been spark arcing from a plug wire to ground? If the air was damp, that could enhance the arcing and cause a miss.

OP
OP
I
Reaction score
that would make some sense since i changed the spark plugs and wires. although if true would it had given me a check engine light. im going to change the spark plugs again. the idiot in me bought bosch brand and im suppose to stick to motorcraft also i asked if the spark plugs where gap properly, they said yes and when i took one out duh they werent. the reason i changed the spark plugs was becuase the truck once in a while the truck would start and immedialty shut off. i had to pump the gas pedal and crank at the same time. sometimes it would start and then sometimes it took a while. or my battery would die from all the crancking and id have to get a jump. but thanks for the spark plug idea. you think this has to do anything with it shutting off on me yesterday?????:banghead:

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that would make some sense since i changed the spark plugs and wires. although if true would it had given me a check engine light. im going to change the spark plugs again. the idiot in me bought bosch brand and im suppose to stick to motorcraft also i asked if the spark plugs where gap properly, they said yes and when i took one out duh they werent. the reason i changed the spark plugs was becuase the truck once in a while the truck would start and immedialty shut off. i had to pump the gas pedal and crank at the same time. sometimes it would start and then sometimes it took a while. or my battery would die from all the crancking and id have to get a jump. but thanks for the spark plug idea. you think this has to do anything with it shutting off on me yesterday?????:banghead:

This sounds like a fuel pump too,not plugs. Intermittent pump issues can be hard to trace as it has to happen when you are testing it. I would check all the wires/plugs to the pump and see if they are loose or corroded first, then check the pump.
The ticking could be a loose manifold, but that sounds more like fluttering. How's your oil level? Could be a valve tapping that you hear.

OP
OP
I
Reaction score
as of now the ticking or fluttering noise is gone. little by little it was going away less noise to less noise. now there isnt any noise. i will check my oil levels just for grins and will check all wires to the fuel fump. i dont need to drop the tank or anything do i? will i able to see them if i just look under the back end facing the tank? ask for the spark plug theoery if there was a loose or intermittant. shouldnt i have seen some sort of lack of performance or check engine light. when i runs it runs like a champ!!! could that ticking noise be the PVC VALVE its been ages since i change it??

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A loose plug can tick a bit, so you can check that. The PCV wouldn't tick, but always a good idea to check to see it isn't gummed up.
As far as the pump, check all the fuses, relays, and corresponding connections at the panel, and try to trace them to the pump. You might see a frayed/burnt wire(s), but unlikely.

As far as the pump, here are instructions at getting to it. Not something for a novice.

Electric Fuel Pump

Removal & Installation

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Relieve the fuel pressure.
3. Raise and support the vehicle.
4. Remove the fuel tank; refer to the procedure outlined in this section.
5. Remove the fuel pump retaining bolts.
6. Remove the fuel pump.

Last edited:

Johnny Law

Reaction score
I'm not at all familiar with old Expy's but before you go to the extent of replacing the Fuel Pump there may be something to try.

I had a Suburban that acted the same way. Does the '97 have a distributor cap? My Suburban had a distributor cap go bad and was arching internally. My symptoms were exactly like yours. I also replaced wires and plugs and nothing. Cap looked fine. Apparently this was prone to the Chevy's but it sounds so familiar I had to chime in.

I replaced the cap and bingo. Ran like it was brand new.

Good Luck,

Johnny