My Expedition came with Platinum Price and Pinto Quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gbigpapa

Reaction score
I've been struggling with quality issues since the night I brought my Brand New Expedition Platinum home. I purchased the vehicle new with 36 miles on it and it was delivered with the following problems.

1) Fuel Filler Door Misaligned

2) Door Ding on Right Rear Door

3) Paint Scratches on Left Rear Door

4) All four doors, rear hatch, and hood were misaligned and fit poorly

5) Missing Body Sealant and Body Plug which upon first rain caused drivers floorboard to be sopping wet

6) O2 sensor failed

7) Transmission wire harness was routed incorrectly which caused it to melt

8) Differential Reduced Torque error message has appeared several times on dash while driving

9) Trim on right passenger door threshold broken and weather stripping misaligned

10) Very strong burning smell when towing a 6k trailer up a long steep driveway

11) Received dash board message that hood was not closed even though it had not been opened.

12) Head & Taillight humidity that takes several days to clear up. (Is this normal?)

13) Transmission slow to switch from drive to reverse

14) Massive transmission slipping when cold. Can place vehicle in gear but engine will rev while only slowing moving vehicle forward.

I currently have just over 5,100 miles on my expedition and it has been back to the dealer 4 times.
All of the doors, hood, and rear hatch had to be realigned by a body shop. The door ding had be fixed and the entire door repainted. The front seats, carpet, kickpanels, and interior trim were removed from the car to fix leak and all had to be dried out. O2 sensor was replaced (that was an easy one). The burned wire harness could not be replaced and the mechanic had to fabricate a replacement by hand. Dealer was not able to reproduce the differential and transmission problems but they are now worse and it's again back in the shop again.

I've owned the vehicle for 5 months and of that time it's been under repair 1/5 of the time.

caplanm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dealer is supposed to inspect vehicles when they come off of the truck. They should have never accepted it for sale, if these issues were present. Shame on that dealer

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lemon laws vary by state, so you may or may not come out okay in that. One thing I found out while going through the potential buyback process, is that right now with short supply the value you get for it may not even pay for a similar vehicle, not that you would want another one after what you've experienced. I'm sorry for your issues, I've had quite a few myself, not quite as many as you though. I think in the year and a half that I've had mine, it's been in the dealer over eight times.

OP
OP
G

gbigpapa

Reaction score
Dealer is supposed to inspect vehicles when they come off of the truck. They should have never accepted it for sale, if these issues were present. Shame on that dealer
That’s what my service manager told me. He said we should not have sold you this vehicle but he cant buy it back. Ford corporate has to. I have a claim in for a buyback.