My Expedition came with Platinum Price and Pinto Quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

gbigpapa

Reaction score
Lemon laws vary by state, so you may or may not come out okay in that. One thing I found out while going through the potential buyback process, is that right now with short supply the value you get for it may not even pay for a similar vehicle, not that you would want another one after what you've experienced. I'm sorry for your issues, I've had quite a few myself, not quite as many as you though. I think in the year and a half that I've had mine, it's been in the dealer over eight times.
What issues have you had yours in for?

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Multiple times for rattling turbo wastegates - about 5 times for this, took a total of over 9 months fighting with Ford customer care (they wouldn't replace them) and finding parts. Finally got fixed about a month ago.
Multiple times for warped dash plastic. Finally got a good dash about a month ago and was replaced.
Rear window defrost.
Taillight was cracking from the inside out, replaced.
Moonroof issues.
Tailgate button stuck and replaced twice.
Tranny ultra hard shift on highway, never figured out why.
VCT Phaser fix @ 9k miles.

I'm sure i'm missing at least one.

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only issue. I've had was leaking shocks.. they had a 2 month backorder on them so I switched them to bilstiens glad I did.

Bunky

Reaction score
I hope your state has a lemon law. The one problem that really bothers me is the mechanic fabricated harness. That is a huge red flag. If the harness is not available you should replace the NHA, which is probably the transmission. I would not accept a shadetree fix from a dealer. That is just wrong.

JEB2

Reaction score
I bought a 2019 from the Ford dealer this winter that was a few miles out of the bumper to bumper warranty. I bought an extended warranty from them.

As soon the first snow hit I discovered that my roof leaks. I’ve had a loud annoying rattle in the ceiling over the third row of seats that I assume is from the sunroof tracks. I’ve also had the annoying creaking noises from the sunroof itself that go away when it is opened. I discovered on this forum that this is a common problem with these sunroofs related to the seals. I’ve also got the clattering sounds from the engine that I’ve read about here.

I love the way the Expedition drives, the power it has and the comfort on the road. My back actually does better on long trips than with the Infiniti QX56 that it replaced. I’ve had several Suburbans and the Infiniti and this is my first Expedition. It has more power than the others, but the quality of build seems very inferior.

donsmrs

Reaction score
I've been struggling with quality issues since the night I brought my Brand New Expedition Platinum home. I purchased the vehicle new with 36 miles on it and it was delivered with the following problems.

1) Fuel Filler Door Misaligned

2) Door Ding on Right Rear Door

3) Paint Scratches on Left Rear Door

4) All four doors, rear hatch, and hood were misaligned and fit poorly

5) Missing Body Sealant and Body Plug which upon first rain caused drivers floorboard to be sopping wet

6) O2 sensor failed

7) Transmission wire harness was routed incorrectly which caused it to melt

8) Differential Reduced Torque error message has appeared several times on dash while driving

9) Trim on right passenger door threshold broken and weather stripping misaligned

10) Very strong burning smell when towing a 6k trailer up a long steep driveway

11) Received dash board message that hood was not closed even though it had not been opened.

12) Head & Taillight humidity that takes several days to clear up. (Is this normal?)

13) Transmission slow to switch from drive to reverse

14) Massive transmission slipping when cold. Can place vehicle in gear but engine will rev while only slowing moving vehicle forward.

I currently have just over 5,100 miles on my expedition and it has been back to the dealer 4 times.
All of the doors, hood, and rear hatch had to be realigned by a body shop. The door ding had be fixed and the entire door repainted. The front seats, carpet, kickpanels, and interior trim were removed from the car to fix leak and all had to be dried out. O2 sensor was replaced (that was an easy one). The burned wire harness could not be replaced and the mechanic had to fabricate a replacement by hand. Dealer was not able to reproduce the differential and transmission problems but they are now worse and it's again back in the shop again.

I've owned the vehicle for 5 months and of that time it's been under repair 1/5 of the time.

Have you tried speaking directly to the corporate offices? I usually got whatever I needed by doing that. I didn't know anyone of importance, but I don't mind going to the press. One time, there was a recall on General tires (including mine) and we were scheduled to take a 5-hour interstate road trip the next weekend. The local customer service rep told me they were waiting for General Tire to get the tires ready. That sounded bogus so I called General Tire and the young man said they had a warehouse full of tires to replace but were waiting for Ford. Meanwhile, my husband went to the dealer and the same rep told him the tires were on back-order. My husband was really beaked when he learned he'd been, just like me, lied-to. So, I called Customer Service in Dearborn, stated my case, gave her the name of our local customer service rep at Ford, gave the lady the name and contact number for the General Tire rep and told her this," I truly dislike being lied-to. The tires are available, my tires are the ones to be replaced. We leave on a road trip in 3 days, and we will be driving at Interstate speeds of up to 70mph. If we have a wreck because of this debacle, you won't have to worry with the local customer service rep because when my attorney is done, I will OWN the local dealership and that liar will be the first employee to be sacked! So, to prevent this, surely you can impress upon him that any delay on his part will not be a smart move." We got a call from the local dealer in about 20 minutes and the tires were replaced the following morning. You might try that!

Lee Winter

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Limited, and have had a two pain in the ass issues. Blend Door Actuator. Ford Dealer wanted >$700 to remove dash to replace. (This after I told them the noise was in back right quarter). I reached inside the trim and felt the clicking component. I got a new one and fixed it myself. Second problem is neither FOB will open doors or start vehicle. I have to use the override picked to start the thing. I’ve been troubleshooting for 6 months. On the next oil change, I’m getting both FOBs reprogrammed. Hopefully it’s something simple like them loosing their memory.

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '20 with 7,500 miles already has one infotainment/headrest screens dead with maybe 6 hours of use to date.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you tried speaking directly to the corporate offices? I usually got whatever I needed by doing that. I didn't know anyone of importance, but I don't mind going to the press. One time, there was a recall on General tires (including mine) and we were scheduled to take a 5-hour interstate road trip the next weekend. The local customer service rep told me they were waiting for General Tire to get the tires ready. That sounded bogus so I called General Tire and the young man said they had a warehouse full of tires to replace but were waiting for Ford. Meanwhile, my husband went to the dealer and the same rep told him the tires were on back-order. My husband was really beaked when he learned he'd been, just like me, lied-to. So, I called Customer Service in Dearborn, stated my case, gave her the name of our local customer service rep at Ford, gave the lady the name and contact number for the General Tire rep and told her this," I truly dislike being lied-to. The tires are available, my tires are the ones to be replaced. We leave on a road trip in 3 days, and we will be driving at Interstate speeds of up to 70mph. If we have a wreck because of this debacle, you won't have to worry with the local customer service rep because when my attorney is done, I will OWN the local dealership and that liar will be the first employee to be sacked! So, to prevent this, surely you can impress upon him that any delay on his part will not be a smart move." We got a call from the local dealer in about 20 minutes and the tires were replaced the following morning. You might try that!

My experience with ford corp was crap. 6 months almost, multiple attempts at escalations, ****** canned responses when I sent typed letter (so ****** even the customer service reps signature was laser printed, can't even take two seconds to sign a letter?), And so far not a response from the board, after about 2 to 3 months. I know, covid means they aren able to respond on the same calendar year, but Jesus. Finally after threatening suit, they approved a warranty repair.

Just crap all around.

1111ExpyEL1111

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess I'll never understand why someone would post all of this here except to scare away potential Expy/Navi buyers. If the post is true, which I doubt it is, I'd have that truck at the dealer with my lawyer in the passenger seat.