My power lift gate has a mind of its own.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mommy2acurlyq

Reaction score
The lift gate will open but will not close with the remote, button in the back or button on dash. If I turn it off then on through the information center it works for a little while. How can I fix this?

B

bedrck46

Power Liftgate Initialization
NOTE: If the power liftgate system is turned OFF in the message center, the system cannot be activated with any switches or with the liftgate handle. The system will need to be turned ON for any power operation to occur.

NOTE: The power liftgate may not operate under the following conditions:

A low voltage or dead battery
A disconnected battery
If any of these conditions has occurred, the power liftgate must be reset.

NOTE: The battery must be disconnected for 20 seconds before the module will enter the initialization mode.

Disconnect the battery. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01 .
Wait 20 seconds and reconnect the battery. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01 .
Manually close and fully latch the power liftgate.
NOTE: If the power liftgate does not open during this step, refer to the symptom chart to diagnose the power liftgate for no operation.

Power open the power liftgate by using the key fob or control switch.
Once the power liftgate is fully open, close the power liftgate by using the key fob or control switch.

B

bedrck46

Not sure if that is your problem but may be a good place to start Check your owners manual for the procedure to reset the power lift gate If you don't have a manual go to owner.ford.com and you can download the manual