My ReadyLift SST 3/2 kit experience thus far 2016 EL Platinum 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KevinCar

Reaction score
I have this exact lift in front and back. I got a 4 wheel alignment the next day. Instructions were not the best. I believe they came with 3 different instruction sets... mostly for F-150. i did most of it by myself... but getting it back on the front-end was much easier w/2 people. Taking apart is the easiest. Getting everything back on in the front-end was more interesting... the bolts you are loosening/removing on the front do affect camber... i kept them close to what they were and took it over the next day to get aligned. The ride is a bit more stiff and you do hear it clunk on sharp turns as your struts are now extended. your travel is obviously different and you don't get the same extension before you are fully extended. Overall I like the look and ride isn't horrible...but b/w the new tires and lift is much more stiff.

KevinCar

Reaction score
On the front, to get around the issue you are having, I believe I completely removed the Lower Control Arm... getting it all back together was a pain. I'm really trying to remember what I did but I believe I put the bottom of the strut through the Lower Control Arm and then used a few jacks to carefully support the bottom of the strut under the control arm as well as get the 2 bolts back in the Arm by lifting and aligning the forks. I went slow on everything. A few YouTube videos shows folks slamming big screwdrivers in and around for leverage...and while i did use some of that to help line up, etc... went slowly to not create any unnecessary collateral damage.

OP
OP
J Ski

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
On the front, to get around the issue you are having, I believe I completely removed the Lower Control Arm... getting it all back together was a pain. I'm really trying to remember what I did but I believe I put the bottom of the strut through the Lower Control Arm and then used a few jacks to carefully support the bottom of the strut under the control arm as well as get the 2 bolts back in the Arm by lifting and aligning the forks. I went slow on everything. A few YouTube videos shows folks slamming big screwdrivers in and around for leverage...and while i did use some of that to help line up, etc... went slowly to not create any unnecessary collateral damage.
Thanks for the reply! I plan on just hammering out the two bolts on the lower portion of the strut which should clear without having to remove lower control arm. Worst case scenario I'll loosen it up aonit will sag more but a few f-150 videos I've seen call for hammering out those two bolts and then reinstalling them after putting the strut back in. Will update next week after installation

OP
OP
J Ski

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Had this lift on our 15, no issues for the 6 months before it got totaled.
If you did the install yourself, how did you deal with the two bolts that attach the strut to the LCA? Some f150 videos I've seen say to loosen the LCA bolts and punch out the two bolts in the strut and just reuse them

KevinCar

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I plan on just hammering out the two bolts on the lower portion of the strut which should clear without having to remove lower control arm. Worst case scenario I'll loosen it up aonit will sag more but a few f-150 videos I've seen call for hammering out those two bolts and then reinstalling them after putting the strut back in. Will update next week after installation

Yeah, you may need to loosen so it sags...as even taking out the strut bolts, fitting it in, and then when you put the bolts back in, it may be at too much of an angle without the strut being compressed. I would agree it's ideal to not have to take it apart...I had tried a few different things (except for that) to try and avoid it... but just ended up taking it apart. tightening the control arm back up and getting it back close to the same camber position was tricky as well. I did use pry-bars carefully to get the position i wanted as well as a few awkward positions to hold it in place and tighten those bolts at the same time... :) It's possible I took a harder approach, except for the approach you described, i felt like i had tried different ways without removing it. I just couldn't quite get the angles i needed to get the strut into the control arm.

OP
OP
J Ski

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Here's a good video of the installation process to follow on a 2016 f150. Exact same method for front 2016 Expedition. *Note that it shows them loosening the LCA and removing the splined bolts. I'll be using this method

OP
OP
J Ski

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Yeah, you may need to loosen so it sags...as even taking out the strut bolts, fitting it in, and then when you put the bolts back in, it may be at too much of an angle without the strut being compressed. I would agree it's ideal to not have to take it apart...I had tried a few different things (except for that) to try and avoid it... but just ended up taking it apart. tightening the control arm back up and getting it back close to the same camber position was tricky as well. I did use pry-bars carefully to get the position i wanted as well as a few awkward positions to hold it in place and tighten those bolts at the same time... :) It's possible I took a harder approach, except for the approach you described, i felt like i had tried different ways without removing it. I just couldn't quite get the angles i needed to get the strut into the control arm.
Any issues with the upper control arms rubbing or bouncing on the springs?