My Salesman Called today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, he has an $88k, gussied up but, unfathomably, uglier, Expedition. I'll bet he does. :3811797817_8d685371

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I preferred to be frugal (not cheap) with my purchases over the years & retire early. When buying an $88,000 vehicle in my area ... that there is over $7K just in sales tax - gone forever. I could never bring myself to do that since I equated that with a certain amount of days at work. So my entire working life I saved a few bucks here and there and it added up to early retirement. Just me, everybody is different. My 2014 Expy EL has been (and still is)sweet and I keep it perfectly maintained. Cost $35K 2 years ago @ 34K miles now Blue Books $25K @ 65K miles. Its going to get me anywhere I want to go in almost the same comfort & safety as a brandy new Navigator. I spend less money than I might, but do anything I want in style. Like I said just me, not you.

I've been tracking my financial situation (i.e. Net Worth) for many many years. When I buy a vehicle from a dealer ... I immediately value it for what I paid minus sales tax & a "dealer purchase premium cost". Then every year after that I calculate the value to be 89% of the previous year. Its roughly right. Kinda funny also that as a vehicle ages, the rate of loss in value decreases BUT maintenance costs increase. So it can cost as much to own an older car as it can a newer one. Ain't fair!

I'm curious, what do you do for a living? Something in finance?

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My local Lincoln salesman told me when we ordered our car that if we breathed on the 2017 Navigator we’d end up with it. I told him to not repeat that in front of my wife, he obliged. I’ve seen several ‘17’s with dealer plates that just sold in the last couple weeks. I don’t know what discounts they are getting but in my area they have been moving them from what I’ve seen on the road and in the dealer inventory search on the Lincoln website.

You did the right thing going for the 2018. At this point since there is a 2018 redesign for Expy/Navi, if I were even considering a new 2017 Expy/Navi I think I would either just go 3-4 year old Expy/Navi or get a new Yukon XL Denali which won't be redesigned for another few years and has great deals thanks to competition from the new Expy.

Plati

Reaction score
I'm curious, what do you do for a living? Something in finance?
I'm a retired Engineer. Last 20 years of employment I was in the Patent Infringement game at Xerox. Actually we called it WAR not game. There was an Offense side and a Defense side. There was a time when Xerox was a pretty amazing company.

KBB just put out this review of the 2018 Expedition or at least I just noticed it!
https://www.kbb.com/ford/expedition/2018/
https://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-th.../?psid=44424&siomid=tgn3ajss_d||||fvxhpedzw0|

WOW ===> "the new skin is all aluminum"
hope its not like my snowmobile trailer and can be parked under an Oak Tree!!

the 2018 Navi
https://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-latest/2018-lincoln-navigator-first-review/2100004871/

Last edited:

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You did the right thing going for the 2018. At this point since there is a 2018 redesign for Expy/Navi, if I were even considering a new 2017 Expy/Navi I think I would either just go 3-4 year old Expy/Navi or get a new Yukon XL Denali which won't be redesigned for another few years and has great deals thanks to competition from the new Expy.
Yes we did the right thing for sure, we looked at both 2017 Expy and Navi but I had already read about the update so we decided to wait.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I want to make sure we are talking apples to apples here. An ‘18 platinum, non max, 4wd, tow package, and headrest TV system.

If it is 2wd and no TVs, that right there is 5k

Edit: supposed to have quoted Garrett

Last edited:

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I want to make sure we are talking apples to apples here. An ‘18 platinum, non max, 4wd, tow package, and headrest TV system.

If it is 2wd and no TVs, that right there is 5k

Edit: supposed to have quoted Garrett

Yep 4x4 with rear entertainment and all others.