What is this thing called, and how do I remove its cover?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TimberExpy

Reaction score
Does anyone here know the proper name for this “module” that sits atop the rearview mirror? Or better yet, how I can safely remove its cover?

This is on my ‘22 timberline, and I’m trying to install a dash cam. A clean install would have me route wires behind it. There’s definitely an area where wires could be run (there is already a wire there for the mirror), but when attempting to Google how it’s safely removed, I don’t even know what to call it.

I presume it is secured with clips, but there seems to be a speaker, maybe a microphone, and some other sensor or “button” on the left side. Don’t wanna damage anything.

TIA

IMG_4041.jpeg

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my 2020 that "cap" just pops off. As I remember you can remove it by just using your hands to pull down.
Not sure if wiring has changed but this thread was the one I used to wire my radar detector and others have used the mirror mount for dash cams.

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP
OP
TimberExpy

TimberExpy

Reaction score
Welp, all done.

There are four clips, which I hope the photos show well. I used a relatively wide trim tool.

It seems that the far left and far right clips are the ones you have to pop out first, then the two center-most ones will follow when you pull it off.

Turns out that what appears like a speaker grill in the center is actually venting for the Windshield camera (lane departure assist?) and there are several wiring connections, some pass-through, for the passenger airbag indicator, the overhead controls for lighting/moonroof/etc, what I presume is the windshield rain sensor, the camera, and of course the auto-dimming mirror.

IMG_4056.jpegIMG_4058.jpegIMG_4060.jpegIMG_4062.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TimberExpy

TimberExpy

Reaction score
The front camera is mounted behind the mirror; it is actually in the first photo above, you just can’t see it.

The rear camera was mounted at the top of the rear glass on the lift gate/hatch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire