My Stock EB Expy to Overlanding 4X4 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrBlargMan

Reaction score
@OverlandExpy - Cant wait to see the wheel/tire combo! Curious about seeing you make those sliders as well!

In case you are interested, here are the Ford part numbers for the stock FX4 skid plates.
Front Skid Plate - 2L1Z-5D032-AA
Transfer Case Skid Plate - 2L1Z-7E063-AA
Fuel Tank Skid Plate - 2L1Z-9A147-AA
Fuel Tank Straps (with skid mounts) - 2L1Z-9054-CA / 2L1Z-9054-DA

The fuel tank skid was discontinued when I purchased my set a few years back, but I was able to source the front skid and transfer case skid from my local Ford dealership. I have a separate thread with pics. If you just search skid plate you should be able to find it.

Cheers!

MrBlargMan

Reaction score
@OverlandExpy - That for sure looks like it would fit the shape of the tank. I am honestly not sure of what changes (if any) that were made to the fuel tanks or mounting straps on the 2005-2006 tanks vs the 2003-2004 tanks. There's certainly one way to find out if it will work, I suppose! :Big Laugh:

OP
OP
OverlandExpy

OverlandExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hopefully nothing since they are all the same model year! I'll buy it and report back. Is your fuel tank plate metal? On that website it says it's only 14lbs, seems pretty light for a piece of steel. Is it aluminum?

OP
OP
OverlandExpy

OverlandExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also do you have any pictures of the fuel tank armor on your rig? Would love to see if it looks close enough to mine. Just checked the site I linked and it says it only fits the 05/06 models but I thought they were all the same.

MrBlargMan

Reaction score
I currently do not have a fuel tank skid plate on my rig as the FX4 fuel tank skids are discontinued.
The skid that you just posted has peaked my curiosity, though. I will look into it further when I have some time.

MrBlargMan

Reaction score
I found this part explosion in the factory Ford workshop manual.
It looks like as long as you buy the straps, I don't really see a reason why the 2005-2006 skid wouldn't work.
The 2003-2004 fuel tank itself has the 2L1Z prefix and the 2005-2006 has the 5L1Z. Just like the skid plate, the rest of the part number is the same.

Attachments

• 2006 Fuel Tank Explosion.jpg
    2006 Fuel Tank Explosion.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
OverlandExpy

OverlandExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@MrBlargMan that's a great find! I'll keep my eye out for a metal skid or any of the fx4 skids on ebay and other sites. I've been spending a lot of money on my rig lately and am also trying to renovate a new house and attached workshop, so I'll save up for a bit while hoping one pops up somewhere. If not I think I'll probably just fabricate some myself after I get a little more practice in. I'm picking up the metal tubing tomorrow at the metal shop I'm working at on the side for my rock sliders I'm going to try to make. Will definitely be posting pictures here as I go along!

If anyone on these forums lives up in NorCal that needs some shop space and has some welding experience and can give me some pointers, PM me!