Mystery leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Took these pics on my front drivers side. The one looking down at the engine is taken on drivers side front.
Thoughts? Brake fluid maybe? IMG_2936.jpg
IMG_2940.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would put a catch pan under the truck for a few days to capture some of the fluid. Motor oil, power steering fluid, brake fluid etc. all have a distinct smell. Once you identify what it is you can logically search for where it might be coming from. Just a suggestion. Leaks are always fun, but not as fun as electrical issues

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would put a catch pan under the truck for a few days to capture some of the fluid. Motor oil, power steering fluid, brake fluid etc. all have a distinct smell. Once you identify what it is you can logically search for where it might be coming from. Just a suggestion. Leaks are always fun, but not as fun as electrical issues

Throw a sheet of parchment paper on there so you can clearly see the color, helps ID a fluid if you aren't well versed in the various smells and even if you fall short there with a nice pic I guarantee someone here will be able to. Nice trick I tried many years ago before I knew much about anything.

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Year, make, model and drive type?

Do you have 4WD? Could the rubber bellow for the CV joint be leaking and slinging the grease?

Update: I originally thought it was brake fluid since that’s the ABS module in the pic. However, it appears to be engine oil coming from a hose clamp. I’m gonna see if I can get to it this weekend to confirm and hopefully fix.

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Year, make, model and drive type?

Do you have 4WD? Could the rubber bellow for the CV joint be leaking and slinging the grease?

2007 4WD. Doesn’t appear to be anything being slung from a ripped boot, they all look dry and intact.

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Captain obvious says; Clean it and then look at it.

You’re welcome to move along. All of us on this forum have enough common sense to do that and thus rendering your input a waste of our time.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You’re welcome to move along. All of us on this forum have enough common sense to do that and thus rendering your input a waste of our time.

So why didn't you do it and why did nobody mention it ? Finding leaks is not rocket science. All I saw was; not coming from boot, put paper under it, smell it etc. Sorry I wasted everybody's time but if you listened more you wouldn't make dumb mistakes like the plugs you had put in your good cam phasers I warned you about.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1