Name that sound..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpc11

Reaction score
Video here: https://youtu.be/f4rwJUthSMU

You may have to turn speakers up, and it's a little easier to hear starting about the 10 second mark as I move the phone farther into the wheel well. But, the noise is like a slight metallic grinding/dragging noise every 3 seconds or so in the video (can hear it pretty good around both the 13 and 16 sec marks.) I'm constantly spinning the wheel. It occurs for about a quarter of the rotation of the hub/wheel, which, with a smaller diameter, is about half the rotation of the inner cv joint. It sounds almost like when brake pads are starting to go and need replacing. My pads are in great shape though and it's definitely coming from farther in, like the inner cv joint area.

I know there's SSM 48082 and TSB 20-2028 related to vacuum lines not releasing out of 4WD all the way. But, noise is present after shutting car off whether left in 2WD or 4WD, unless it would do it in either since car isn't on..??

Having trouble diagnosing it since it's not constant through the rotation. Any thoughts? Thanks.

OP
OP
M

mpc11

Reaction score
Bump to see if anyone has any ideas at all? Thanks.

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To my ears it sounds like the pad is rubbing on the rotor, or the brake rock shield is rubbing etc.

I'd whip that rim off and spin the hub to make 100% sure it's not that, before continuing any further.

Sounds can travel in weird ways - bouncing off other objects, travelling along metal etc.

OP
OP
M

mpc11

Reaction score
To my ears it sounds like the pad is rubbing on the rotor, or the brake rock shield is rubbing etc.

I'd whip that rim off and spin the hub to make 100% sure it's not that, before continuing any further.

Sounds can travel in weird ways - bouncing off other objects, travelling along metal etc.
Appreciate the reply. I did look into both of those as I initially thought it was pads too. Wheel was off. Just hard to constantly spin the hub with one hand and take a video, so I put it back on just for that purpose. Thanks.