Navitouch (ebay) navigation unit review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
FYI- this is going to be long, so i'll get right to it: DO NOT BUY ONE!!!!

Now that that's out of the way, i'll start the story......

(disclaimer: this is my experience. you might have the same, you might have a different one. use at your own risk.)

A quick tid-bit about the service:

they will email you back and try and help. They don't know a lot about the unit, so you might come up empty handed on some install/operation issues. There service doesn't totally suck, but i would hope for a company that's going to sell something, to know more about it. I've been messing with this thing for nearly 1 1/2 months (returning #2). they say they've had fine working units in the past (2005 model), but for mine (2007 expedition el eb), it was worthless and costly. I recommended they shut down and figure things out why things don't work on it. They told me they were getting a lot of negative remarks and decided to shut down the ebay store to work on their service and products. They've asked me a couple times not to report them to ebay and/or paypal.

The unit.....

i figured i would try one out becuase it looked great, has a ton of features, and a decent price (<$700). I got it, and it came with no instructions....none of them do. it does have a sissy little vague manual that is no help what-so-ever. The unit is fairly plug-in-play, but there is alot of crap to riffle through. It's a wiring headache keeping things straight. Once installed, it did look great and i was happy with it. For most applications (mine was basic/stock replacement) you won't use 1/2 of the wires and plugs it comes with.

At first, nothing worked. Well that's exaggerating....the rear-camera wouldn't work (bought one through them too - sent the wrong one - oh well), the bluetooth wouldn't work, the nav wouldn't work, the AUX wouldn't work, the USB wouldn't work, and probably some more, but you get the point. After some trial and error (i'm trying to keep it short) i was able to get most of it to work. Being there's no instructions, i had the rear-camera wired wrong. I'm not entirely stupid when it comes to these, but it's wired in a way i never would have thought of. They were able to help me with the wiring and i got it to work: turn on when in reverse. (don't plug the camera RCA into the "camera" plug....i know, i know...)

I was able to get everything working (with help from a professional) except for the nav, bluetooth, and the factory subwoofer. Remember, this is supposed to be a factory replacement, plug-in-play. Before i bought it, i asked all the questions about the unit and the factory components. i wouldn't have bought it if i knew things weren't going to work on it. Also, the rear entertainment system won't work with it. Maybe with some additional wiring things would, but not as a plug-in-play. Back to it:

With help from Navitouch, i was able to get the nav working. It required some setting changes in the navigation menu. The only thing not working was the sub and the bluetooth. since the bluetooth is more important (laws) i started on that. Even with professional help, we couldn't get it to work. The issue was that when someone calls in, you can hear them, but they can't hear you. it has both an internal and external mic and we tried both. we even tried another mic and 2 different phones, and nothing.

I paid for return shipping and they sent me another one.

This was worst than the first one! Since i've done this once before, putting the 2nd one in was easy. The sub still didn't work, but the bluetooth worked. turns out, there was a problem with the mic. The new one (#2) worked just fine with their new mic. Other than the sub, everything seemed to be cool and i thought i was ready to go. I made an appt with a professional shop to have them look at it, but for the most part, i was happy with the unit.

was happy.......

(Back fill story: my wife drives the expy. we are getting ready to move, so she doesn't live with me right now. we only get to see eachother on the weekends, so i only get to tinker with the expy on the weekends.)

The next day after the installation of the new unit (monday) she calls me to tell me she has a dead battery. i don't think much of it and tell her how to jump it. she gets it going and i go about my day. the next morning, it happened again. I don't know what's going on and don't have an answer. I tell her to leave it and not drive it for the week. she has to walk back and forth to work (1-2 miles?) and can't do much else. She get's it jumped for her return trip home for the weekend. when she gets here, i take out the unit because i'm fearing that it's draining the battery throughout the night resulting in a dead one in the morning. I get ahold of Navitouch and they don't know what's wrong....they'll get back to me. I get a hold of the pros in town and they're stumped. they're booked for the weekend, so it'll have to wait. Navitouch said i could send it back again, but i really want it to work so i decide to keep it and investigate more. By the end of the weekend, i put the dash and unit back together and my wife drives off. (over the weekend, i had the battery on a trickly charger.)

My wife makes an interesting discovery. She finds out that if there's a disc in the unit (like a cd or dvd) even when the car is turn off and the unit appears to be off, the disc keeps spinning. She also discovers that if the unit is on, manually turning it off before you turn the car off, seems to shut everything down. She doesn't know for sure though. If you manually turn it off, you have to manually turn it back on when you start the car. (PITA) Shortly after, she forgets about this quirk and has a dead battery in the morning.

I have my wife remove the battery and take it to the local auto part store for testing. The store tells them that the battery has been drained so much that it's "bad" and will no longer hold a charge! I'm pissed off now. Everything was just fine, till this juice-sucker got put in. I had up there for the weekend as were going on a road trip (camping), and have to purchase a new battery for it (2007 model remember....not very old) and before we even begin our trip, i'm out $120.

I figure this is a great time to play more with the unit as it does have a ton of features. Throughout the weekend, i kept it on a trickly charger to be safe. After 3 days, it never gets to a full charge.

On the trip i discover that every time you turn the unit off, the nav settings reset back to the default settings. The clock and time zone are screwed and all your personal preferences are lost. Also, only the nav clock can be set as a 12 hr clock (am/pm). The clocks on the other screens are military time. Speaking of clocks, if you put in a destination and have the nav tell you where to go, the clock disapears from the map screen. i don't know why. While driving, all the street names and POI will blink at you and it's very annoying. I don't remember this before, but it's doing it now. It has a mind of it's own.

For the radio, it will also always default to the last programmed station. If you're somewhere new, like we were, and find a local station, when you turn it off and then back on, it will go back to the last programmed station....not the station you were on last. Very annoying.

The bluetooth is only good for speaking, you can't call from it. you can use your phone to call and then speak back and forth on it. you can use the screen to answer and reject calls and stuff, but feature wise, it's just for talking. They have on the screen a keypad to dial and stuff and looks like it should, but it never connects. Maybe with some professional help it might, but this one didn't and i wasn't going to mess with it.

(it's almost over.....)

This thing has way to many issues and to many annoying "quirks" for me, so i'm sending it back. It's to bad because i was really hoping for a nice unit. It looks great and has a ton of stuff, but it just doesn't really work worth a crap. I was very disappointed in it.

I'm sure there's more to say, but this post is WAY to long, and i'm getting hungry. they've offered to pay me back the full price of the unit and the inital shipping cost. i would have liked some reimbursment for the dead battery, but no such luck.

I'm taking the unit to UPS to have it shipped back. i don't know how to ship it back (they're from canada) so i'm hoping UPS will help. Navitouch emailed me some pdf files to print off, but didn't explain what i need to do with them. I've printed them and i'm just going to take everything to UPS and hope for the best.

well....i think that's it for now. I'm back to the stock stereo. I've priced some units and the cheapest i could get locally (installed, extra parts, and taxes) was $1200. I'll wait and check around again in a few months. maybe prices will drop better towards the holidays.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wow, that really sux. i couldnt help but read it all just to hear the difficulty you went through. thank god i have a 2001 with stock crap! haha

2blackfordrides

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought and installed a double din w nav/ bluetooth/ipod/usb/aux/night vision back up camera/ect the works for 300 shipped( actually 295 shipped) and ile tell u the thing is sick... Ive never a unit that works this well and ive had kenwoods with nav and all..... It was realitively straight forward for a install too... Absolutely no prob other than cutting my dash cuz it didnt fit....lol maybe try a diff unit? And save some cash... The nav evn tells u ur mph and and when ur exceeding the speed limit where ur driving and has dual zone so u can use nav and the music or bluetooth.....

jmciver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is a shame what you had to go through, however there still is hope for an inexpensive navigation headunit for 2007+ Expeditions (I also have a 2007 Expedition EB EL). My guess is that they did not pay close enough attention to the wiring differences between 2006 and 2007 (the model year change for the Expedition anyway).

About a year ago, I purchased a Jensen double din Nav head unit, model VM9022HDN from Sonic Electronix for $500 (which can be seen here) I also purchased the PAC adapter C2R-FRD1 (which you can see here) which made wire hookups a snap (all plug and play). All OEM functions, including RSE and the factory sub worked perfectly. I also installed the steering wheel control interface unit from PAC (which is unique to different head units), which also worked without issue.

The thing I liked most about this unit, besides the price, is the expandability. Since I have installed it, I have added three screens (two headrests for the second row, and a flip down for the third row), a second DVD player that feeds the 2nd & 3rd rows (the head unit also has a built in DVD player so there are two DVD sources in the car), a reverse camera and a FloTV unit. This headunit pretty much gives me the flexibility to send any audio/video signal where I want it and if I want to add something temporary, like an XBOX for long trips, it allows me to do that as well.

The only downside I have had with the unit is the BT functionality. It is not as crisp as I would like, but that has more to do with my phone than the unit (I have an LG phone and their BT compatibility is notorious for being "quirky" compared to other brands like Motorola and iPhone), but it still allows me to make/receive hands free calls. Also, the the Navigation maps (updating them was 'interesting' but once done all is good).

You can probably still get this unit new on eBay, even though it has since been replaced by an updated unit. But I am pretty sure the updated unit has similar features as this one for the same price.

FILE0022.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
P
Reaction score
2blackfordrides: what unit did you get?

jmciver: i'll check out the jensen (and other units) too. Can you send me a list of the additional harnesses you had to get to make all the factory systems work? i too have the rear dvd system, steering wheel controls, and factory subwoofer.

i would like something as plug-in-play as possible. i used to wire up units in college, but i'm getting to old and lazy to deal with them! :)

2blackfordrides

Full Access Members
Reaction score
THE ONE I BOUGHT IS THIS ONE.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/HD7-Double-Din-...256?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b0e44838

BUT MINE CAME WITH A NITE VISION BACKUP CAM... PLUS ITS ON SALE RITE NOW.... I ORDERED IT AND IT WAS DELIVERED IN ABOUT A WEEK...... CAME WITH THE CARD WITH THE MAP ON IT.... UNIT TELLS ME WHEN IM SPEEDING(WHICH U CAN TURN OFF), CAN LISTEN TO MUSIC OR DVD WHILE USING NAV, EXTRA SD SLOT FOR PICS OR MUSIC.... THE NAV EVEN SHOWS DIRT ROADS WHICH MY TOM TOM DIDNT.... AS FAR AS PLUG AND PLAY I HAVE FACTORY MACH AUDIO THATS AMPLIFIED SO I HAD TO BUY A SEPERATE HARNESS FOR AMP INTEGRATION.... I HAVE OWNED KENWOODS WITH NAV AND A JENSEN FLIP UP LAST YEAR IN MY 99 XLT AND I LOVE THIS UNIT.... CAME WITH THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL WHICH HAD A WIRING SCHEMATIC IN IT.... I HAVE WIRED ALOT OF DECKS IN MY PAST AND IT WAS REALLY SIMPLE.... I HAD TO DO SOME FAB TO GET IT TO FIT( MY 99 ISNT A TRUE DOUBLE DIN.....) BUT OTHER THAN THAT I LOVE THE UNIT.... BEST 300 DOLLARS I HAVE EVER SPENT ON CAR AUDIO/VIDEO..... EVERYONE TOLD ME"DONT BUY FROM EBAY!!!" BUT I HAD NO PROBS THE UNIT WORKS GREAT AND WAS SHIPPED FAST.... HOPE THIS HELPS....

jmciver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2blackfordrides: what unit did you get?

jmciver: i'll check out the jensen (and other units) too. Can you send me a list of the additional harnesses you had to get to make all the factory systems work? i too have the rear dvd system, steering wheel controls, and factory subwoofer.

i would like something as plug-in-play as possible. i used to wire up units in college, but i'm getting to old and lazy to deal with them! :)
I just used the harnesses I listed in my original post:

1. PAC C2R-FRD1 (here). This will allow you to use the stock harnesses to connect your aftermarket head unit and still retain all of the OEM features such as Rear Seat Entertainment and the factory subwoofer. You will still have to connect the speaker wires from the head unit harness to this harness if you don't plan to use an aftermarket amp (I soldered all of mine together). This harness also has connections for Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) if your Nav head unit needs this signal (the Jensen does not), the reverse light signal for a backup camera, the parking brake signal for the head unit, and the wire for the steering wheel control as well. More info, including a wire diagram, is on the PAC website.

2. PAC SWI-PS (here) for steering wheel control (this is specific to a Jensen head unit)

I don't have OEM rear DVD, but the instructions for the PAC interface discuss how it works with this adapter.

OP
OP
P
Reaction score
thanks, i am definetly going to check these out and get another one in the future. it might have to wait a little while, but i'll get one.

OP
OP
P
Reaction score
i checked out the PAC harnesses, i'm going to order some of those.

2blackfordrides: i like that unit, but will is it compatible with the above PAC harnesses? i'm cautious about getting a no-name unit.

i checked out the jensen, and that particular one didn't really grab me. i'm going to check out what other ones i can find on ebay.

thanks guys!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65