Nearly three years later, back to an Expedition.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sierra Lima1470

Full Access Members
Reaction score
(You will probably want to read this on a computer)

"03-18-2011 08:33 PM" was the last post I left on this site.

Now, I am back! A lot has changed in my life. No longer in high-school, 3 vehicles later, and I am back to where I belong. Back to a Ford Expedition. Here is my automotive story that brought me back to my roots.

I bought my first Expedition in February of 2010 it was an amazing SUV. It was my pride and joy, and was one of the nicest cars in my school parking lot. But as I was approaching the end of my high-school days back in 2011, I realized that driving nearly 90 miles a day round trip for college; with stop and go traffic in my 2003 Expedition was not going to be good for my checking account. So I sold my cherished 2003 Expedition to my neighbor in March 2011 where it still is today. I have posted quite a few more pictures of it in my view all albums 2003 Expedition folder. It can be seen in the background of some of my current photos. Every day I step outside, I see my old Expedition, and it is a painful reminder of one of my greatest mistakes.

Shortly after the sale of my Expedition, I bough a 2006 Chevrolet Impala 3.9 liter 3LT with only 50,000 miles in March 2011 as a commuter car. HUGE MISTAKE. It was fully loaded, black leather, bose, remote start; I thought I was getting a fantastic deal at only $10,500, $12,500 with a 24 month bumper to bumper warranty. Well, I sure am fortunate I bought that warranty, because it paid for itself many times over. The transmission died at 56,000 miles and the head gaskets, oil pan gasket, intermediate steering shaft, rear control arms, wheel speed sensors, power steering pump, and 4 TPMS sensors were all replaced in my 8 month ownership before I sold it. Do NOT buy a 2006-2011 impala with the old 4sp automatic and old engines. It is trash.
picture.php

Now early 2012, I realized that I would never own another v6 or front wheel drive vehicle for the rest of my life. Quickly, I bought a 2002 Chevrolet Suburban z71 4x4. It was amazing. That Vortec 5.3 liter v8 is an absolute gem. It revved quickly, the power was good, and economy not bad at all. I averaged 13.5 MPG with aggressive driving. Compared to my memory of driving my Triton 2v 5.4 this engine was a rocket. I could roast the tires of that Suburban at will. It was SO quick, and I loved having the Eaton g80 rear locker. But something about it just didn't make me 100% happy. I chalked it up to the terrible PAPER speaker sound system and lack of steering feel, with the overall build quality and solidity lacking behind Ford trucks.
picture.php

Early 2013: I started my career, and I bought a SUV that I had been admiring since its introduction, a 2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4x4 HEMI. It is glorious. Stone white, optional chrome wheels and chrome package, Boston Acoustics sound system (Best stock system I have ever heard), large sun roof with second row skylights, and the HEMI. If you have never driven a HEMI equipped vehicle, I would highly recommend that you do. It is seriously fast. The down sides to my jeep are that with my driving style, and full time 4WD I average between 7-10 MPG on recommended mid-grade 89 gas. With a 20.5 gallon tank I am CONSTANTLY stopping for gas.
picture.php

Mid 2013: I sold my Suburban. I realized that I barely ever drove it anymore and that the Jeep was my preferred daily driver.

Mid-Late 2013: I wanted more space. The longer I drove the Commander, the more I disliked the feeling of a mid-size SUV. The general lack of open space bothered me. I began to test drive several large SUV's, mostly the 2007+ Suburbans and even a Porsche Cayenne haha.
picture.php

picture.php

Late 2013: It was a long debate, despite being incredibly fun, I passed on the Cayenne. I knew that when something broke on the Porsche I would be screwed. I was very serious about the pictured black Suburban z71, but the day I was going to go buy it, I saw what my heart knew was right. The vehicle I knew I belonged in. I could not resist its siren song.

I bought a 2007 Ford Expedition EL Limited 4x4 with 116,000 miles. It had more miles on it than the Suburban, but I knew on the 5.4, it was just getting broken in. There are members on this forum that are a testament to its longevity. I absolutely love it. There are so many more ways to personalize the Expedition in my opinion, and the quality of people here on ExpeditionForum.com far exceed those on some of my previous vehicles forums... Its nice to see dhSoulja is still around, albeit with a fancy new name. Solisimo, and tallsville, along with a myriad of refreshing new-to-me people.
I look forward to sharing my knowledge and learning with everyone!

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sierra Lima1470

Sierra Lima1470

Full Access Members
Reaction score
new truck looks great! hope it keeps you truckin along many more miles.

Thank you! Miraculously, this vehicle does not have the paint bubbling issue on the hood and tailgate. So I consider myself very fortunate. The front badge does look a little rough however. I was going to order a second set of custom badge overlays from Patriotdecals, but it would appear that they are no longer around.