Need help figuring out a problem

Discussion in '3rd Gen - 2007 - 2017' started by RJameson, May 15, 2019.

1. RJameson

RJameson New Member

I have a 2014 King Ranch Expedition. I bought it used with 65000 miles in 2017. A few months after buying it, I began to experience the following randomly, lasting anywhere from a few seconds to almost an hour. So far the dealerships can't identify the problem.

The alarm will sound and I will get error messages alternately displayed: "Tire pressure monitor fault; Trailer brake module fault; Door ajar"; Brake light stays on; Tire pressure light blinks and then stays on; When these errors occur, my runners will not deploy, the air will blow but will stop blowing cold, and my backup camera will not work, or once my backup camera was displaying while I was driving forward.

Does anyone have any ideas? This is very frustrating.

2. TXFRDOwner

TXFRDOwner Full Access Members

Sounds like your canbus network has gone haywire.

Could it have been in a flood and they didn’t disclose that to you !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RJameson and iimagine like this.
  3. jeff kushner

jeff kushner Full Access Members

Since electrical bugs are generally difficult to isolate, I would suggest beginning with the easy stuff. I would disconnect the battery and remove all the fuse and relay covers, remove, check, clean and reset each fuse & relay thereby eliminating a bad fuse/relay or bad contacts.

At least it would be a start but smarter folks here might have better suggestions?

jeff

powerboatr and RJameson like this.
  4. richie

richie New Member

You would be surprised at some of the problems a cheap cell phone charging adapter can cause and it is a simple thing to check out.

5. CHRIS HODGE

CHRIS HODGE Full Access Members

My charger messed with tire monitor system, replaced lighter with USB port, problem solved. Sounds like bigger issue with your truck, water being a possible cause, are seat frames rusted?

6. stamp11127

stamp11127 Super Moderator Staff Member

All the electronic razzle dazzle of today is sensitive to voltage fluctuations or lack thereof. First things to eliminate would be battery condition & state of charge then the charging system. Battery voltage needs to be above 12.4 volts to be safe with engine off. With engine running you should see a charging voltage between 13.5-14.5 volts dc.

powerboatr likes this.
  7. Trainmaster

Trainmaster Old School Member

You may also try rebooting the thing. Disconnect the battery for a few minutes, short out the cables for a few seconds to discharge any capacitors that hold memory and hook it all back up.

8. MuddySpokes

MuddySpokes Active Member

If the charging system and battery are good, consider getting some software that will see what the computer sees in real-time. Chances are good that the vehicle is complaining about something and it is just a matter of looking at the symptoms to start focusing on the likely culprit(s).

As mentioned, flooding is withing the world of possibilities. Might consider running the VIN to see where the vehicle was previously registered and if there were any significant weather events in that area.

9. 1955moose

1955moose Full Access Members

By law in all 48 lower states, and probably Alaska and Hawaii too. A seller has to report flood damage. That's not to say an unsavory individual won't try to yank up the carpets and every large area, and try to dry it out. You or a shop may have to do a little carpet yanking of your own. If you do find wetness, take plenty of pictures. Hopefully this is not your issue.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

10. bobmbx

bobmbx Full Access Members

Carfax works pretty good in determining where the vehicle has been, and when it was there.