Need new rotors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
need some help here. Have a slight rotational scraping noise coming from up front that I can hear below 25mph. IWE checks out, vacuum lines are all connected, 4x4 works and noise doesn’t gonaway when 4x4 engaged so I’m thinking it’s brake related. How do these rotors look? I’ve only got 26,000 miles on them. Do you think the rust around the edge could cause minor scraping noise? Thanks for help and suggestions

Back side driver front
EB249E82-B7EA-4012-8FA5-C654927C7422.jpeg

Front side driver front
70F29E4A-27C6-46A7-B85B-92BB284C1BC2.jpeg

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't imagine that little amount of rust causing any noise, at least not for more than the first few rotations until it's rubbed off. I'd jack up the front end one side at a time and turn each wheel by hand. Maybe even take the wheels off and look for a small rock stuck between the backside of the rotor and the dust shield or between the rotor and the caliper.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If there isn't any visual damage such as grooves you should check the runout with a dial indicator. Also check the backing plate for signs of rubbing and if the brake pads have anti rattle on them.

OP
OP
J Ski

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Thanks fellas. I’ll pop the brakes off this weekend or early next week and see what Ive got

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's an exterior week? Did Trump slip something by me when I was napping!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep check the inner side. Mine had a nasty shake when braking and made noise and the fronts looked perfect..... on the outside. All the warpage was on the inner side, replaced all four with Motorcraft units have been quiet and shake free since. I agree you inner side looks off, maybe like Brian said your pads are shot.

OP
OP
J Ski

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Yep check the inner side. Mine had a nasty shake when braking and made noise and the fronts looked perfect..... on the outside. All the warpage was on the inner side, replaced all four with Motorcraft units have been quiet and shake free since. I agree you inner side looks off, maybe like Brian said your pads are shot.
Just wasn’t expecting that with 26000 miles on them since I purchased it