Need to add a trailer brake controller on a 2008

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason Mankey

Reaction score
OP
OP
R

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is your truck wired for electric brakes? That requires the HD Tow option. Easy way to tell is to verify there's a round 7-pole RV or "Bargman" wiring connector on the back bumper to the right of the trailer hitch receiver. If not you'll need some wiring -- much is already there, just not connected.

And you need the Ford "pigtail" to plug in under the dash and connect to whatever brake controller you use.

Avoid controllers that are not proportional like the one the trailer dealer puts on cars and trucks.

-- Chuck

Yup I have the HD tow package.....or at the very least that 7 pin plug is back there so I should be good to go. Definitely going for a proportional controller....just not sure if I want to spend a lot more for the clean install, or go for something cheaper that will work but wont look quite as nice!

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're on the taller side like me, you need the leg room under the dash. I got a RedArc TowPro Elite; it has a SUPER clean install. I took pics as I removed mine from my 08 Expy K.R. due to total loss from repair shop damage. Here's some pics of my install; once completed all you see is the little knob under the 4x4 switch.
20190920_110357.jpg 20190920_110350.jpg 20190920_105818.jpg 20190920_105812.jpg

20190920_110048.jpg

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
20190920_105511.jpg 20190920_105505.jpg

HIDDEN 2nd SCREW UNDER HOOD RELEASE PULL vVv
20190920_105633.jpg

metal kick panel reinstalled and screws ground flush.20190920_105351.jpg

All you see when completed :) :)
20190920_105342.jpg

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're on the taller side like me, you need the leg room under the dash. I got a RedArc TowPro Elite; it has a SUPER clean install. I took pics as I removed mine from my 08 Expy K.R. due to total loss from repair shop damage. Here's some pics of my install; once completed all you see is the little knob under the 4x4 switch.
View attachment 32362 View attachment 32364 View attachment 32365 View attachment 32366

View attachment 32363

You went through all that trouble for a clean install and then cheaped out on the switch? That definitely needs a better looking switch. ;)

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You went through all that trouble for a clean install and then cheaped out on the switch? That definitely needs a better looking switch. ;)

How do you figure I "cheaped out" on the switch? I placed it in a place for a quick arm's reach for me as I am right handed. The knob is multi-function and can do everything a knee-knocker brake controller can do. It even learns the trailer brakes automatically during the first dozen or so braking events. It's supposed to be inconspicuous; not a monstrosity.

This knee-knocker???
canvas2.png canvas.png

Vs This Clean install?
20190920_105342.jpg

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How do you figure I "cheaped out" on the switch? I placed it in a place for a quick arm's reach for me as I am right handed. The knob is multi-function and can do everything a knee-knocker brake controller can do. It even learns the trailer brakes automatically during the first dozen or so braking events. It's supposed to be inconspicuous; not a monstrosity.

This knee-knocker???
View attachment 32376 View attachment 32377

Vs This Clean install?
View attachment 32378

If you look back at your previous photo, it doesn't appear there's a cover on it. If the above photo, there is.

It is your vehicle though, isn't it? Good or bad, installed yourself or by an installer, it would your decision which switch is there, no?

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you look back at your previous photo, it doesn't appear there's a cover on it. If the above photo, there is.

It is your vehicle though, isn't it? Good or bad, installed yourself or by an installer, it would your decision which switch is there, no?

Correct, my vehicle, I installed, I use it. The 08 Expy 4x4 doesn't have any blank switch knockouts etc... so I decided to place it near another accessory switch that I use just as much.

I don't see what all the hubbub is about the "switch"... there isn't a selection from the manufacturer. Like I said, it's a minimalist look to the KNOB. Out of the way of leg room.

They do offer a selection of inserts for the knob but like I said, no where to counter-sink the insert on an 08 Expy. Would have been nice if Ford offered an acc switch row like in the pickups. But Expeditions were marketed to buyers that wanted the giant 4x4 SUV with the "car feel".

https://www.redarc.com.au/tow-pro-switch-inserts

0000963_tow-pro-universal-switch-insert-panel_450.png