Need to add a trailer brake controller on a 2008

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Will be towing a popup camper for the first time later this summer in my 08 EL Limited. I know there are some stock Ford brake controllers on the newer models. Any option like that available for the 2008 or am I looking aftermarket only?

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Will be towing a popup camper for the first time later this summer in my 08 EL Limited. I know there are some stock Ford brake controllers on the newer models. Any option like that available for the 2008 or am I looking aftermarket only?
How heavy is your trailer?

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Aftermarket only, nothing factory for your 08.

If factory look is what you are after, maybe have a peek at RedArc Tow Pro Elite or Curt's Spectrum system.

Pretty much everything else is going to be a clumsy, tacked on box that you won't enjoy when not towing.

Mrs. Curt in her F150:
62490721_829524880750885_4432305245056631444_n.jpg

Red Arc in a random something:
IMG_1102_large.jpg

Traveler

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh man I like those! May have to look into an upgrade. My Expy came from the dealer with a previously installed box right under the ignition switch. My keys hang over it and bounce against it.

Sent from my LML413DL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Aftermarket only, nothing factory for your 08.

If factory look is what you are after, maybe have a peek at RedArc Tow Pro Elite or Curt's Spectrum system.

Pretty much everything else is going to be a clumsy, tacked on box that you won't enjoy when not towing.

Mrs. Curt in her F150:
Red Arc in a random something:

Definitely like the idea of using something like that other than the others I've seen! thanks!

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Very nice looking installation. I used the wonderful Tekonsha Prodigy controller on my '02 Explorer and '07 Expedition. Doesn't mount anywhere nice as cleanly but is very competent. I was afraid the factory controller in my '17 would not match the Prodigy -- but it happily does and is out of the way.

Is your truck wired for electric brakes? That requires the HD Tow option. Easy way to tell is to verify there's a round 7-pole RV or "Bargman" wiring connector on the back bumper to the right of the trailer hitch receiver. If not you'll need some wiring -- much is already there, just not connected.

And you need the Ford "pigtail" to plug in under the dash and connect to whatever brake controller you use.

Avoid controllers that are not proportional like the one the trailer dealer puts on cars and trucks.

-- Chuck

Traveler

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually the trailer dealer we got our RV from installed the brake controller in the Explorer and it is a tekonsha prodigy. Works quote well. Just wish the Explorer pulled as well as it stops!

Sent from my LML413DL using Tapatalk

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Sounds like you have a good dealer. Trailer dealers are notorious for installing $30 time-delay brake controllers claiming "no complaints" from customers.

I over-bought the HD tow-equipped Explorer to pull a 3500 pound popup and towed my much heavier hybrid for two seasons but I often felt I was flogging the poor beast and jumped to a HD Tow-equipped Expedition with nearly twice the towing capacity. The Explorer went off to college with my daughter for 4 year (plus 2 in grad school). Just unplugged the Prodigy from the Explorer and plugged it into the Expedition. Easy peasy -- but not as easy as the factory controller in the '17.

-- Chuck

kyleaaronburkett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also use tekonsha prodigy, it bolts to the trailer so nothing is mounted inside your SUV. The brake button is wireless. It's really a beauty. I mounted the CB where the brake controller would have been on the inside.

***Edit: mine is the Prodigy RF, it's still proportional braking and has all the features but gets mounted to the trailer not the vehicle