need ur oponions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so My friend has a 99 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer that we removed those huge Fender flares on. Now we need to fill 40 F**king holes all around his truck.....any ways he wants to make his truck flat black and we thinking of using Plasti Dip. anyone think this is a BAD IDEA? I know i would not do this to my truck but then again I like my trucks color, that was one of the main reasons I bought mine when I did that color sucked me in lol

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
fill the holes with body fill. sand it down smooth and take it in to get it painted. since they are little holes it is good practice to learn how to fill and sand. i wouldnt recommend plasti dip. but just a nice flat black.

tsingson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only problem I know with flat colors is that it is a PAIN to keep nice...Bird shit, oil spots, etc have to be cleaned off right away in order for it not to stain a spot in the paint. If you are going to paint it, just paint it normally...if you are going for cheap earl schieb or maaco...just my 2 cents...

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only problem I know with flat colors is that it is a PAIN to keep nice...Bird shit, oil spots, etc have to be cleaned off right away in order for it not to stain a spot in the paint. If you are going to paint it, just paint it normally...if you are going for cheap earl schieb or maaco...just my 2 cents...

dont go maaco. my buddy took his dirtrango there they put the wrong blue on it! like really? he said this isnt right! he had pics of what it was before and now. they said o its the light. he said no this is when i dropped it during the day and the next day its a lighter blue. change it now or im not paying you. so they changed it and he got a discount. just pay the extra $$ and get it done at a much better place.

tsingson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had my pathfinder painted at Maaco last year. My pathfinder was black already so I opted for a Honda black with gold metallic flake in it and they nailed it perfect. It all depends on who is painting it. Not all Maacos are the same.

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah flat black unless done right can be a headace, and if its done right its isnt gonna be cheap.

Look at this first car and compare it to the second one. Look at the passenger door of the supra. You can clearly see a difference
suprafront.jpg

lexus_matte_black.jpg

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Plasti-dip is for tool handles.

If you really want that kind of a finish and you don't want to spend much cash, pick up a bunch of spray cans of Duplicolor Spray In Bedliner. The stuff is tough, easy to apply, and unlike Plasti-dip, it won't peel off.

OP
OP
Big Red Monster

Big Red Monster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yea im already good at bodywork so filling the holes is the easy part. his truck is kind of a beater so thats why we want to do it ourself and not go to a paint shop. maybe we will try the truck bed liner. reason i asked about plasti dip was i saw alot of guys on the forum used it on their wheels and bumpers

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea im already good at bodywork so filling the holes is the easy part. his truck is kind of a beater so thats why we want to do it ourself and not go to a paint shop. maybe we will try the truck bed liner. reason i asked about plasti dip was i saw alot of guys on the forum used it on their wheels and bumpers

check out soldier77, I think he did his.

Soldier777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes sir whole truck is bed lined.. Looks just as good as it did the day i sprayed it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69