Never as easy as it should be.. Front suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No help needed (yet), I just wanted to share. I've been getting a little clankity clank going on in the front, and I knew the driver's lower ball joint was well past it's prime so I decided to change it out. I found the upper control arm ball joint was looser than this gal I knew a lifetime ago, the strut is rusted through, and two of the brake dust-shield bolts snapped off inside the knuckle... I'm waiting on the 2nd vehicle to come back home so I can go get an extractor kit and get it put back together.

Anyways, at least I've got some great help!

PUtmn3U.jpg
CHUAbsm.jpg

justKen

Reaction score
Two (2) jacks - one with a 4x4 between it's saddle and the truck - and your child lying beside the truck.

Please tell me the jack stands are present, but not visible in these photos...

/K

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good looking boy! Good to get him interested in cars/trucks early on. I had to learn on my own unfortunately, would have been great working on the 53 Pontiac wagon, or my Dad's 57 Dodge pickup.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bain64

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Two (2) jacks - one with a 4x4 between it's saddle and the truck - and your child lying beside the truck.

Please tell me the jack stands are present, but not visible in these photos...

/K
Good looking out!
Yes, 2 jack stands in place and supporting the load, plus the main jack and then the small one with the 4x4 I used to position the control arm up enough to get the ball joint press on.

Edit: And i should note at no point was the boy under the truck, even with jackstands in place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bain64

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good looking boy! Good to get him interested in cars/trucks early on. I had to learn on my own unfortunately, would have been great working on the 53 Pontiac wagon, or my Dad's 57 Dodge pickup.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk
Thanks Moose. It’s in this little guys blood! If I’m working on something he wants to be right there with a wrench in his hand too. If we see construction equipment or anything of the sort he’s asking questions.

justKen

Reaction score
Good looking out!
Yes, 2 jack stands in place and supporting the load, plus the main jack and then the small one with the 4x4 I used to position the control arm up enough to get the ball joint press on.

Right on / I know how easy it is to get sidetracked into a project that "will only take a minute" - then these projects tend to grown exponentially and the most basic of safety measures have gotten overlooked.

Kudos for teaching your son working on your own vehicle can be both enjoyable, as well as rewarding in a completed job!

/K

OP
OP
Bain64

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, she's back on the road. Ended up with a new caliper too

FX5NOy2.jpg
sR3oIgD.jpg

How long do you think this strut will hold up?
PWubYBG.jpg

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That strut is trashed .... the anti-rattle spring on the caliper is installed incorrectly. If they were both like that it creates interference between the rim and caliper, and the spring being the weak link will get knocked off by the rim. You must've been hearing that noise for a while ? Are you the original owner ? You can freeze frame this video to get a look at how the anti-rattle springs are supposed to be installed. Also, stick-on wheel balancing weights generally don't work well with Expy rims. There's very little clearance between the brake caliper and the rim. I would recommend using the standard smash-on weights, not the stick-on type.

Last edited: