New 2022 SPP - First service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finally heard back from the dealer last week. Ford approved two new tires. Went to get them put on and service advisor says one of the new ones is failing the road force balancing as well. Argh.. only good news is she says they will push for all 4 of another brand because these crappy Grabbers are hard to get. More waiting and time wasted. Looks like 2019 was the best year for me.

I’ve got the same issue. Except ford won’t replace with another brand. They insist on the generals.
I have to get them to swap 2 of the worst ones. This thing still drives like crap over 70.

Infra246

Reaction score
I just heard back from them sounds like they don't want to replace them with anything but the generals under warranty. God forbid they step up and make me happy.

balthisar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, in another thread I mentioned I had issues with the vibration and my General Tires. Made my appointment at 600 miles, finally got it in at 1600. The service manager has been great, and acknowledges that they can't find the issue yet. All four tires passed the normal balance, but two failed the road force balance, and have been replaced. The technician is still not happy with the ride, and they're trying to figure out what to do next. Truck's been there since Tuesday, but at least the Baby Bronco loaner has been fun to drive around. Someone in the other thread mentioned "driveshaft," so I hope it's not that.

OP
OP
R

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, in another thread I mentioned I had issues with the vibration and my General Tires. Made my appointment at 600 miles, finally got it in at 1600. The service manager has been great, and acknowledges that they can't find the issue yet. All four tires passed the normal balance, but two failed the road force balance, and have been replaced. The technician is still not happy with the ride, and they're trying to figure out what to do next. Truck's been there since Tuesday, but at least the Baby Bronco loaner has been fun to drive around. Someone in the other thread mentioned "driveshaft," so I hope it's not that.

Same issue with me. Exactly the same. I am going to bring it to a private shop with a road force machine also. Will cost me but I’d rather either rule tires and alignment out or get them fixed. Once we eliminate that variable I’ll move onto rotors, then bearings and last is driveshafts.

Infra246

Reaction score
Where is this other thread? Is it on this forum? I checked your recent posts and don't see anything. Coincidentally I hear a knocking sound sometimes when going over sharp bumps or stutter bumps. Has to be just right. It is like something on the front driver's side has too much play or is lose. I am wondering if that is also contributing to the problem. I mentioned it to the service advisor but it went in one ear out the other. He must have been following the ford service flow chart that says to ignore first request and hope customer forgets, before moving on to say - it's normal and then finally - drive it and say you don't hear anything and can't reproduce the problem. Lol

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Generals!!??? Worst tires ever. I would NEVER take any vehicle with Generals. Either the dealer would change them out or my second stop with be a tire store. And if Ford has downgraded to Generals, well there's another reason I won't be buying Ford again. My Hankook's my not be the best, but after 41k they don't show much wear.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Coincidentally I hear a knocking sound sometimes when going over sharp bumps or stutter bumps. Has to be just right. It is like something on the front driver's side has too much play or is lose. I am wondering if that is also contributing to the problem.

This makes me think you have a bad shock. Do you have the base shocks? If so, they are known for leaking at low mileage.

Infra246

Reaction score
Mine is just a regular stealth not performance. But I have ccd. I'm likely going to to take it to a friend's shop and pay him for an hour to put it on a hoist and go over it on that side and see if we can find something. Otherwise it will be a frustrating exercise getting the service dept flow chart treatment.

OP
OP
R

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Generals!!??? Worst tires ever. I would NEVER take any vehicle with Generals. Either the dealer would change them out or my second stop with be a tire store. And if Ford has downgraded to Generals, well there's another reason I won't be buying Ford again. My Hankook's my not be the best, but after 41k they don't show much wear.

I'm likely going to bite the bullet and put Defender LTX M/S on it. They ride great, wear amazing, and are good all weather.
I'm not a fan of the Generals, even the service tech said ford really cheapped out. I've had Hankooks on my explorer, after 25k they were down to wear bars, their warrantee sucks too. Not to mention, i've got almost 5-5.5 oz of weight balancing 1 tire (on the generals).

Infra246

Reaction score
The other nice thing about the replacement tire I did get was, it was given to me with this brown crud all over it. Maybe it's just my ocd but If I was working on someones brand new car I would have cleaned that tire before handing it back. PXL_20220909_212736274.jpg