New Check In

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt W

Reaction score
Just bought an 04 Eddie Bauer 5.4L...

Came with:

Recent spark plug change, (had a Ford work order to prove)

K&N filter, (filter ONLY) But this will be swapped for a Volant Cold Air Kit. Mostly because previous owner basterdized the intake box by hacking it up trying to make his own "cold air".....

Black Iron 17" Wheels

285/70/R17 BFG All Terrain KO'2s with about 85% tread

Thanks to this website and the GEN 2 "What to look for when buying a Gen 2".....

Yep..... It has EVERY issue.....

BUT because of knowing what to look for.....

I think I scored pretty well.

Way I see it.....

I bought $2000 worth of tires and wheels......

And got a $1000 dollar truck.

And hey...... our previous daily driver was 25 years older than this.....

Going from a 1979 Suburban (Yes our Daily driver..) to a 2004 Expy.......

I look after em

But I also ride the shit outta em....

Hope it can handle it!!!

It's got some big shoes to fill.

Wife is already in love.... so I call it a win!!

expedition.jpg IMG_3173.JPG

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Matt, you've got the best and last year of the 2 valve motors. The only issue that 03 and 04's have is that dreaded fuel pump relay soldering coming loose. Now if you bought the 05, you'd have a big ole laundry list. Keep the oil, and tranny fluid clean, and you and the wife should have a long term truck.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matt W

Matt W

Reaction score
I'll search it... But what's the symptoms of the fuel pump relay?

Currently when its cold... -25 deg C right now.. it will fire right up but then start to run like shit....

If I shut it off, And re-start.... runs and idles like a million bucks....

I'd imagine a fuel pump relay would be either run.... or no run....????

Thanks for your replies!

EDIT: There are No check engine light..... And NO codes stored

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, the cold weather is doing a number on your SUV. If it was an 05, I'd say look at the fuel pump driver module by the spare tire, but I don't believe 04 had it. You might want to look up near your spare tire, who knows you might have a late 04. The fuel pump relay to my recollection, will stall and cause all kinds of grief. The connection to the fuel pump gets interrupted. With no codes it's a tough one. Rather than throwing parts at it, use a Forscan or an advanced type of scanner. It sounds like a weather related sensor, maybe coolant temp, or Maf? I'd also check and clean grounds, you might have corrosion, due to that Canadian cold and moisture. These SUVs are so dependent on grounds and clean 12 volt power.

OP
OP
Matt W

Matt W

Reaction score
Wow, the cold weather is doing a number on your SUV. If it was an 05, I'd say look at the fuel pump driver module by the spare tire, but I don't believe 04 had it. You might want to look up near your spare tire, who knows you might have a late 04. The fuel pump relay to my recollection, will stall and cause all kinds of grief. The connection to the fuel pump gets interrupted. With no codes it's a tough one. Rather than throwing parts at it, use a Forscan or an advanced type of scanner. It sounds like a weather related sensor, maybe coolant temp, or Maf? I'd also check and clean grounds, you might have corrosion, due to that Canadian cold and moisture. These SUVs are so dependent on grounds and clean 12 volt power.

Thanks!

Yesterday I put the truck up on jackstands.... took EVERY ground and power I could find off, wire brushed and reattached. Couple of them were really corroded... Voltage at Alternator is 14.2 V...... After fusible links at battery is a constant 14.2 volts.... turn every power option on and it drops for a millisecond then right back up.

No fuel pump driver by spare tire.... one of the first things I looked for.

I did find some vacuum leaks, replaced the hoses and holy moly did the fuel mileage improve!!

I bought a 15 year old truck.... some quirks are to be expected!!

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just bought an 04 Eddie Bauer 5.4L...

Came with:

Recent spark plug change, (had a Ford work order to prove)

K&N filter, (filter ONLY) But this will be swapped for a Volant Cold Air Kit. Mostly because previous owner basterdized the intake box by hacking it up trying to make his own "cold air".....

Black Iron 17" Wheels

285/70/R17 BFG All Terrain KO'2s with about 85% tread

Thanks to this website and the GEN 2 "What to look for when buying a Gen 2".....

Yep..... It has EVERY issue.....

BUT because of knowing what to look for.....

I think I scored pretty well.

Way I see it.....

I bought $2000 worth of tires and wheels......

And got a $1000 dollar truck.

And hey...... our previous daily driver was 25 years older than this.....

Going from a 1979 Suburban (Yes our Daily driver..) to a 2004 Expy.......

I look after em

But I also ride the shit outta em....

Hope it can handle it!!!

It's got some big shoes to fill.

Wife is already in love.... so I call it a win!!

View attachment 28848 View attachment 28857

Welcome to the forum. You still own the burb?

OP
OP
Matt W

Matt W

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You still own the burb?

Yep, still have her.

The ole SBC 350 took a knee and said I'm done.:(

That's why we bought the Expy.

Body is in too good of shape to just scrap, and the back is all "overlanded" out..... Double bed, cabinets, drawers, pull out table, stove, BBQ etc etc etc.... from when my wife and I just called it camping;)

Soooooo I may happen to have a Cummins looking for a new home.....

My wife really does love the Expy tho.... so I think it's found it's forever home....

Got's me a set of Super Duty Axles that may need a new home in the future too.....:biggrin: