New Expedition Cold Start Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

daviddsims

Reaction score
If it’s a hideous racket for about 2 seconds, it’s bad cam phasers. If it’s a soft rattle for about 30 seconds, it’s a harmless exhaust issue.

I went ahead and drained the oil and put 6 qts of Motorcraft 5w-30 in it so I know it's right. I will record it tomorrow morning if it does so everyone can hear it. It almost sounds like the engine is coming apart for about 2-3 seconds.

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went ahead and drained the oil and put 6 qts of Motorcraft 5w-30 in it so I know it's right. I will record it tomorrow morning if it does so everyone can hear it. It almost sounds like the engine is coming apart for about 2-3 seconds.
Well crap. It may be the cam phasers then.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Thats exactly what cam phasers do. Look at youtube, Theres a million videos on them. They've been a problem for Ford for like 10+ years.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a video I recorded on my Iphone this morning but not sure how to put into a post.

I think you would use the 'Upload a File' button. You would probably need to post from your phone. If the direct website doesn't work, tapatalk is a nice app to use for mobile connectivity to the forum.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here it is, only happens first few seconds after an all night rest.

100% cam phasers. It’s a pain but I’d get them replaced before the powertrain warranty is up. I drove mine like that for 15,000 miles waiting on a fix. Mine started making the noise around 15,000 miles and waited until 30,000 miles before ford “updated” the cam phasers. So far mine have been good since replaced 3,000 miles ago. Just hope it stays that way but there is no guarantee. Mine is much more responsive now that they are fixed.

Last edited:

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like you have earned your ‘cam phaser from hell’ badge... sorry there is no confetti or balloons, just the sound of rattling victory.

OP
OP
D

daviddsims

Reaction score
I called my dealer and another local one and they both sound like they have never heard of this issue. It looks like I'm in for quite the ride.

Bow512

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would look for a dealer who has done multiple ones and knows what they are doing. A lot of parts come off during the process that, if not put back together correctly, can cause more problems. The dealers I checked with all recognized the problem from my video alone.

Where are you located? Maybe others would have a suggestion.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65