New expedition new tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skylais

Reaction score
Hey all, my first thread here. Week old owner of 23 KR Max. So far I love it!

I decided to replace the General Grabber tires with the pirelli scorpion all season 3 plus tires. I did this because what I’m looking for is the most comfortable (low sound, easy on bumps) ride possible. After extensive research online, I landed on these tires for their comfort and sound ratings. Tire size is 285/45/22.

Anyhow, I haven’t “broken the tires in” yet, so perhaps it’s not a fair comparison. But thus far, the grabbers (put about 300 miles on em) honestly were more or less the same. The new pirellis may seem to have a smoother “grip” feeling but perhaps take bumps a little harsher. I did a decibel comparison on my Apple Watch and both make about the same noise (same road, same speed, same climate settings, roughly same pressure) however, the pirelli road noise, appears to my ears to be a bit louder, maybe a higher frequency sound. In Houston with all the unlevel and bumpy/pothole roads, I am not so sure it was worth switching the tires. I plan on selling the OEM tires and have a buyer lined up. After cost comparisons amongst major stores and adding 3 year road hazard protection through ford, I think I’m breaking about even cost wise or maybe paying a little for labor to “upgrade” my tires.

That said, thus far I would have been perfectly happy with the grabbers. Everything I read online Indicated to me they were crap, perhaps this is true for Treadlife but comfort and noise seemed great to me.

Anyone have any similar experiences or had a significantly noticeable difference when upgrading from the OEM grabbers?

When these are up in a few years I may try the Michelins or some entirely new model if it meets the criteria.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put pirelli scorpions on mine. I bought em for the high ratings, had a 15% sale on them and they undercut the Michelin by 500. My first navigator had them as well and iloved them on that truck. After 6 mnths of use, I'm not happy with them, but not mad em them either. They do allow more small bumps to come in more readily and are very bad at filtering the road textures. They are also loud, compared to the worn out dynapros that they replaced. Just bought so I'm stuck with them, however, since my truck is 2wd, they feel very secure in handling during inclement weather.

OP
OP
S

Skylais

Reaction score
Interesting. Good to hear. I also have 2wd. It’s been so hot and dry down here I haven’t gotten a chance to test in the rain.
The stopping ratings do appear better than the grabbers so at least there is that, which is important, since I’ll mostly be driving with my kids.

Last edited:

MikeL867

Reaction score
I've run the General Grabber's on my 2017 Expedition Max Limited and they lasted four years and 100k kilometers so far, with towing the sled trailer and 32' travel trailer. I highly recommend again.

I'm looking at the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 275/55R20 tires now to handle the snow, since the Grabbers won't make it through this upcoming winter.

Flatlander1963

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expedition that is a replacement for a 2009 that was retired due to rust and 180,000 miles which is high milage in the state of Maine.

I was running Falken Wildpeak AT3-W and they were great, especially on ice and snow. Other wise a great AT tire. Towards the end of their life they were getting load and a bit rough. Still had a 1/4 tread after nearly 50K miles. Recommend!

I decided to get a Vredestein Pinza AT tires for the 2015. These are also TriPeak rated tires and good in winter but slightly less capable on ice. But the upside is they are very good for nomal road driving. I'm at 6K miles and they have been great. Did a road trip down south adding 4K on the tires. Road wonderfully.

Two great choices if you need a TriPeak tire or a above average performing AT tire.

OP
OP
S

Skylais

Reaction score
Thanks for the info all.

I live In Houston so fortunately don’t really need to deal with cold conditions (or rust) often except that freak Texas freeze.

Also update on the Pirelli. They are riding better now. I think this 100+ degree heat and a few hundred miles helped soften them up a bit. I actually quite like them now, and I’m getting about 65 DB while driving at 70 on extremely busy freeway which is pretty good in my opinion for 22 inch rims and such a large vehicle.

For whatever reason, after a good detailing the ride also felt way smoother. Maybe less friction due to dirt and debris.

On Monday, I’m having the bumpers, hood, maybe fenders protected with XPEL PPF and a ceramic coating to go along with. This includes paint correction; I can’t believe how many scratches and etchings the paint already has despite being on the lot for only a month or two. I don’t plan on off-roading but I do remember seeing my first rock chips on the ranger I traded in and it was very upsetting to me. The new vehicle paint seems really fragile in my opinion. Additionally my ranger had a ton of scratches from the tunnel washes, so gonna manually wash going forward. For mid 70k I consider this car a luxury car and I plan on protecting it as I want to try and get 20 years out of it. We only drive around 8,000 miles or less a year and since I don’t really have to worry about rust down here I think I can get it there fairly easily. After all we have an 04 pt cruiser that’s almost 20 and somehow manages to run despite being known as a junker.