Tire/wheel vibration all corners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yancey101

Reaction score
Hello, I just bought a 23 Expedition Limited. Immediately I noticed that the wheel had a vibration in 2WD. I chalked it up to the vehicle sitting on the lot for a long period of time in cold weather or the factory missing the balance. Both issues easily remedied? Fast forward two weeks and a rebalance, still vibrates. This was referred to the warrantee folks. After measurements were taken they determined it wasn't the tires that are General Grabbers. The service manager then had me try a 24 for a test drive. The 24 and another 23 did the exact same thing. His remedy for this issue was that it was common with the Expedition and all of them do that. All had the same manufacturer tire. I even offered to buy another brand of tire at their cost. His response was that even the F-150's do that. Has anyone had the same experience? And does anyone know how to appeal to a regional manager of sorts? This shaking is getting on my last nerve!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello, I just bought a 23 Expedition Limited. Immediately I noticed that the wheel had a vibration in 2WD. I chalked it up to the vehicle sitting on the lot for a long period of time in cold weather or the factory missing the balance. Both issues easily remedied? Fast forward two weeks and a rebalance, still vibrates. This was referred to the warrantee folks. After measurements were taken they determined it wasn't the tires that are General Grabbers. The service manager then had me try a 24 for a test drive. The 24 and another 23 did the exact same thing. His remedy for this issue was that it was common with the Expedition and all of them do that. All had the same manufacturer tire. I even offered to buy another brand of tire at their cost. His response was that even the F-150's do that. Has anyone had the same experience? And does anyone know how to appeal to a regional manager of sorts? This shaking is getting on my last nerve!

Was the shaking present during your test drive, or did it appear later after driving the vehicle for a while after purcahse?

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They definitely don’t vibrate and yes junk tires can definitely do that!

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score

They definitely don’t vibrate and yes junk tires can definitely do that!

A new car should NOT vibrate like that... most likely junk tires.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
16 years ago I was responsible for most Ford Truck and SUV warranty, among other things, including tire warranty (which was just about my greatest headache). It really sounds like you are experiencing classic tire flat spotting. My experience then was that most brands other than Michelins and some of the very high end speed rated tires were subject to flat spotting. Generally, the heavier the vehicle and the longer it is parked, the more severe the flat spotting.

Most times the vehicle can be "driven" out of the condition each time that it occurs. The amount of miles and speeds required may be more than your typical driving cycle allows. Personally, I have a '22 F150 that still has the OEM Wranglers on it. If it sits more than a few days, it will take 4 or 5 miles at 55 mph + to lose the shake. 16 years ago....Generals seemed to be the worst. On some SuperDuty's at the time it would take 25-30 miles at free way speeds to smooth them out after a few days parked....not exactly the words a customer wants to hear.

The reason for the disparity between Michelin and other brands is that Michelin fully cures their tires in the mold, a process that requires them to own and operate many more molds per unit of production due to cycle-time constraints. Other manufactures deliver their tires not fully cured. The curing process can literally take months and years outside of the factory. An uncured tire will migrate rubber ever so slightly around its circumference when parked and supporting a load. Evening the load and centrifugal force will make it more uniform over time while being operated.

I hate to say it. But the only cure besides driving may be a set of Michelins. Back in the day, there were times when the company would spring for a set of Michelins to satisfy a customer - it always worked.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani