New Expedition owner with a couple of questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

setnev

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Recently I picked up an 03 Eddie Bauer 4x4 that I couldn't pass up due to the price and value. I've been wanting one for a while and held out for the right configuration. It had to have 2nd row captains chairs and had to have leather interior. This one out of the gate had everything. Heated/Cooled seats, Moonroof, Leather, etc. There are a few issues that I have with the vehicle and see if someone can chime in on possible solutions:

1: Airbag light flashes, code 49. Found information that points to a bad ground, but have no clue where to start.
2: I'm hearing a clicking and clunking noise when I first start the vehicle coming from under the panel next to the third row on the passenger side. HVAC actuators maybe? Could this also be why my rear HVAC control isn't working?
3: Both passenger side windows are inoperative. The front I can hear trying to do something in the door and can hear clunking and clacking inside. The back has no signs of life at all. I'm thinking window regulator for the front and both regulator and motor for the back?
4: The vehicle started its life as a Canadian sold Expy, but after it's first year, it was sold at auction and made its way down south to Arizona where its been ever since (saved from the salt). Being said, everything is in metric measurements, speedometer and odometer. It has the equivalent of 160,000 miles (257,000 km). The mileage checks out on it according to CarFax which reported a mix of KM and miles until the guy I bought it from. That being said, how hard is it to replace the instrument cluster with on that reads MPH and my odometer in miles? Do the Navigator clusters swap over? Everything I find is that I need to take it to a dealer because the vehicle won't start if you swap the cluster.

I'm already in love with it. I drive an 04 XLT Base at work and like it. It's going to need a good detail and a little bit of TLC. I'm a Subaru mechanic on the side, so digging into fixing it isn't an issue for me. Mechanically, the thing is sound. No noises, 4x4 works perfect, and drives exactly the way an Expedition should. I bought it as a weekend driver for hauling our kids around town while we run errands, the occasional towing, and maybe take it on a trip or two to California to visit my brother-in-law.

Thanks in advance.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like you got a pretty good vehicle ! Yes, the clicking in the right rear quarter panel is most likely the HVAC actuators. They actually fail pretty regularly. There's videos on Youtube on the repair/replacement job.

The actuator circled in green is the vent outlets door (roof or floor vents...). The one circled in red is the Temperature control door. Many people set them at Cool and Roof vents, and unplug them to stop the clicking noise....

EdXxdy.jpg

The instrument cluster can be reprogrammed to the vehicle with ForScan but the replacement instrument cluster mileage can only be increased not decreased. So if you can, find a cluster that has lower miles on it than your truck's actual mileage, then you can bring the replacement cluster's mileage UP to your vehicle's actual mileage. The security PATS system also has to be programmed to your vehicle. https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=839.
Other things to check are the lower ball joints on all four corners of the truck. If the dust boots are cracked or torn it's time to replace them.

-Mike

OP
OP
S

setnev

Reaction score
Mike,

Thanks a million for that information.

I am going to remove that back panel this weekend to inspect the actuators and order the new ones. I heard they're stupid cheap (compared to other vehicles). I found a replacement cluster on eBay from an 03 with the Message Center screen that has about 3-400 miles more than mine does converted to Imperial, so I can live with a 400 miles increase on my odometer for my wife's sanity. I knew the anti-theft system needed to be programmed but I thought it would have been too old to work with Forscan requiring me to take it into the dealer to get it programmed. I am no stranger to ForScan. I "hacked" my 14 Fusion to enable Navigation in my MFT.

I still haven't found a solid answer on airbag code 49 and I've already ordered the new motors and window regulators for the passenger side doors. All told, I'll be into this truck for less than $2500 when I fix the small issues.

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am going to remove that back panel this weekend to inspect the actuators and order the new ones.

You can get that top actuator without removing the whole panel. There is an accessory tray that pops up and out. You can stick your hand onto the actuator and feel it click to diagnose. Alternatively, if it won't switch from floor to roof vent (and vice versa), the upper actuator is the problem. The lower actuator controls cold/heat.

FWIW, i just unplugged my upper actuator and left it on roof vent.

R W Carpenter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Question about Forscan. Is there anything other than the software that has to be had to use it on a vehicle? If so, what is the cost of the soft/hardware necessary?

Also, What kind of things can you do with Forscan once you have it. Have seen a few posts about it but not really sure what it's is all about.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Question about Forscan. Is there anything other than the software that has to be had to use it on a vehicle? If so, what is the cost of the soft/hardware necessary?

Also, What kind of things can you do with Forscan once you have it. Have seen a few posts about it but not really sure what it's is all about.

Go over to the Forscan forum and read around. For use with a phone you'll need an ELM327 style OBDII adapter. If you have an Android phone there are many adapters available but if you have an iPhone make sure you get an adapter certified to work with the iPhone, they are usually more expensive.

https://forscan.org/download.html

OP
OP
S

setnev

Reaction score
Go over to the Forscan forum and read around. For use with a phone you'll need an ELM327 style OBDII adapter. If you have an Android phone there are many adapters available but if you have an iPhone make sure you get an adapter certified to work with the iPhone, they are usually more expensive.

https://forscan.org/download.html

I used a OBDLink MX Bluetooth Adapter on my Fusion. Worked like a champ and helped me disable some annoyances I had with the car.

SEPTIC PROFESSOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Excellent rear HVAC information Mike ! Great pic with encirclements. On my 03 XLT 5.4 the A/C
pressure line near rear wheel corroded and consequently began leaking, a common issue with
most SUV rear HVAC. I successfully repaired the line myself with under $100 in parts. Evacuated
and charged with my own equipment. Best deal on earth for freon is Sam's Club.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah Sam's is very good if you're a member. I think it's about $3.65 a can ? I buy it in the 30lb tanks just for convenience. I seem to lose a lot when I try to store the smaller cans. ( I think it's my neighbors.... ) . Great when you can do your own repairs !