New ford

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

inkedup8510

Reaction score
Hey all, My name is Morgan from Reno. I just got a 98 expedition Eddie Bower edition. (yes its actually an EB not just the badges lol). Im having some issues with it currently so any input would be greatly appreciated. Just a quick blip about it..

98 white 5.4l 4x4
New transfer case (8 months old)
new rear end (the whole things) 2 days old

Drove ok from 80 miles away when i got it, shifted really high but ok none the less. New rear end stopped the rear wheels from locking while turning. Drove fine shifted fine. Drove it 25 miles to drop off the borrowed tools and it started reving very high with no shift and no go. almost like it was in neutral or the clutch was slipping (its an Auto).

O/D light started blinking.

I have good acceleration up to about 30 then it acts like its slipping. If i put it in second the same. if i rev it to like 4,500 it will grab and shift. Once its over 45 it will grab and drive normal until it tries to go into 4th. Then it has issues shifting into 4th.

If i turn O/D off it shifts a bit lower in the normal gears and i dont have to try to get it to shift as much.

Reverse jumps like its not in gear all the way, once it grabs it goes just fine.

Valve issue in the tranny? Selinoids? Or Torque Converter? HELP!! lol

Thanks for any input!

Quasar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could be alot of things. Most likely will probably need the trans rebuilt. If i remember right on the 1st gen trucks and older f150s the "blinking OD light is kinda like a "check engine light" for the trans. Hopefully whatever it is, it ends up being the cheaper fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toadeyes

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. First off check for any error codes and from there try to trace the problem.