New member 1st post, 2002 5.4 XLT Save and ABS issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

killav

Reaction score
Greetings from a new member!

Thought I would share my LONG story of ownership. Skip to the bottom for my current ABS issue (I have read every thread I could find, and am hopefully getting close to fixing the issue). I have ALWAYS worked on my own cars except for the most extreme cases where I couldn't figure something out.

In 2004, I bought my wife a 2002 Expo 2wd "sport" XLT with the 5.4, load leveling suspension, Gray leather interior, and the 4r100 trans. I gave it to her on valentines day. It was a complete surprise, and she absolutely loved it. It had 39k miles on it when I bought it in February of 2004, and the out the door price was $19,500.00

At that time, our kids were 4, 9, and 14, so we needed a family hauler. That thing was dead reliable, never ever giving us a problem with anything. Over eight years of memories in old faithful. Until.....

So in 2012, with 173k ish miles on the clock and two of the kiddos driving themselves around now, it was time to get my wife into something smaller. We got her a 2009 BMW 328I, which has also been a really great car with very few issues believe it or not. While shopping, the most any place would give us was $1500 for trade. I couldn't do it, the thing still ran perfect. And looked great too. So, I put a for sale sign in the window and waited. I think I was asking about 4k. Three months later, my wife was driving the expedition to work just to keep everything working and the battery charged up, and the #8 spark plug blew out.

We towed it home, and let it sit for a year and a half in front of my house. Then, a drunk driver was running from the police late one night (in a stolen car no less, no insurance), and ran into it. About a week later, I get a note from the city to get the vehicle off the street (no current tags or inspection). So, I wanted to just dump the thing, but my wife would not let it go. She called a storage place, and had AAA haul it there.

So there it sat, for another two plus years. At this point, my wife had finally had enough of paying $45 dollars a month, and decided to call a junk yard to get rid of it. A few days later, we just happened to go to a hockey game, and met a new couple who were friends of a friend. The guy was a mechanic, and just happened to have the time-cert kit that I needed to fix the cylinder head.

So, after 4 years of not running, and after a whole hell of a lot of work, I got it running again. And it runs fantastic. Below is a list of what I had to do:

*Repair spark plug hole #8
*Replace all 8 plugs again-(I blew some marvel mystery oil into each cylinder, changed the oil/filter, rotated the engine by hand, then with the starter to prime the engine prior to starting).
*Replaced the damaged #8 ignition coil
*Replaced the 8 rubber boots that tie the coil's to the plugs (I had a miss under load, and this fixed it).
*Replaced the serpentine belt (dry rotted)
*Replaced brakes on all four corners (rotors, pads, re-packed front bearings, replaced inner wheel seals)
*Had to drop the tank, and replace the dead fuel pump.The impact from the drunk driver did not trip the inertia switch located on the passenger side kick panel area.
*Clean the gas tank. (The gas was awful, poured it into two 5 gallon gas cans, still trying to figure out what to do with the old gas).
*Replaced fuel filter, and flushed out the fuel lines from the fuel rail back to the tank.
*Replaced all four shocks
*Found some brand new tires on craigslist, Michelin LTX MS-2's in 265/65/17, a little taller, but look great on the vehicle, and only slightly affected the speedo accuracy. These are about 900-1000 a set brand new, scored them for $300
*Replaced the inop drivers side lock/unlock switch
*Re-attached the rear view mirror to the windshield. Fell off in storage.

Left to do:
Have new bumper, fog lights, and front air dam valence left to install.
Flush trans fluid again (will be the third time since I have owned it) and install new filter
Flush coolant

Now my problem
After I got the thing running I drove it around a little and although the brake pads were wore out, and the tires were shot, and the rotors were warped (or had serious pad transfer) the brakes worked fine. (Fix it until its broke is my motto!) So, I replaced the front pads and rotors (I used Ultra-Premium brand rotors from RockAuto), re-packed the wheel bearings, and installed a new inner seal. I then flushed the brake fluid with a helper, pump up, hold, open bleeder, close bleeder, repeat. That's all I did.

Upon first test drive, the ABS pump would run right before coming to a stop, below 5mph, but here is the kicker. It will only do it after a hard stop (I was bedding the pads). If you just drive around normal, it won't activate the ABS pump. But hit the brakes really hard all the way to a stop, then take back off, and the very next stop, the ABS pump buzzes and the vehicle pulls to the left.

So, I replaced the passenger side ABS/Speed sensor, no change
I replaced the drivers side ABS/Speed sensor, no change.
I have ordered a rear ABS sensor now, and if that doesn't work, I am going to turn the original rotors, and throw them back on to see if the tone ring on the new rotors is causing some kind of issue. I didn't compare them before I threw on the new rotors. The old rotors are measuring 1.185" thick and I think minimum spec is 1.12" so I should have plenty of meat left to turn them. The only reason I bought new ones was they were on close out at RockAuto for $30 bux each and turning them was like $25.

Also, there is no ABS light ever. Even when the problem is happening, no ABS light flashes or comes on. No other DTC codes are present. I realize it takes a different scanner to read ABS codes, but there has never been a light so I didn't think any codes would be present.

Is it possible we pumped air into the ABS pump? My 15 year old was helping me, but he did fine, not releasing the pedal at the wrong time. And I didn't let the reservoir run dry when bleeding.

What about a rusty piston on the front caliper? The dust boots looked great, but the pads were beyond wore out, and the two pistons per side were fully extended.

I scanned the rotor temps with my infrared temp gun, and all were within a few degrees with the exception of the drivers side rear, which was 50 degrees hotter than the other three. It was at 212, the others were all 155-165 degrees.

Thank you if you have read this far. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1783.jpg
    IMG_1783.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1788.jpg
    IMG_1788.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1893.jpg
    IMG_1893.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1785.jpg
    IMG_1785.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 38

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you need more info for any symptom, let us know.

Inspection and Verification — Drive Cycle Test

The drive cycle test can be used as a system evaluation test, repair verification test, or during diagnosis (for intermittent concerns).

For system evaluation, the customer may only have a general concern about the way the vehicle is braking. There may not be a clear system concern to troubleshoot. This test is designed to produce common system concern symptoms. Once a symptom is found, a symptom troubleshooting procedure can be followed to repair the vehicle.

Always use this test after vehicle repairs because the anti-lock brake control module is unable to detect some system concerns unless the vehicle is driven under specific conditions. After completing the drive cycle test, carry out the self-test using the scan tool.

NOTE: Wetting down the area where the stops are to be performed will aid in this test.

NOTE: An assistant should be used to monitor the wheels during the ABS stop. Momentary lockup is permissible.

While driving the vehicle approximately 16 km/h (10 mph), depress the brake pedal hard enough to lock all four wheels.
Does one wheel lock consistently?
If yes and the yellow ABS warning indicator is not illuminated, GO to Symptom Chart .
If yes and the yellow ABS warning indicator is illuminated, retrieve and document DTCs. Proceed to ABS Control Module Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index.
NOTE: If the pump motor turns on and the vehicle pulls immediately, the front anti-lock brake sensor opposite the pull should be checked using the ABS Misfire, ABS Too Sensitive, and ABS Fires On Normal Stop procedure from the Symptom Chart. If the pump motor turns on and the vehicle does not pull, the rear anti-lock brake sensors should be checked using the ABS Misfire, ABS Too Sensitive, and ABS Fires On Normal Stop procedure from the Symptom Chart. If the pump motor does not turn on and the vehicle pulls immediately, the system should be checked using the Vehicle Pulls During Braking procedure from the Symptom Chart.

While driving the vehicle approximately 32 km/h (20 mph), carry out a light to medium (normal traffic) stop.
Does the pump motor turn on and are brake pedal pulsations felt at any time during the stop?
If yes and the yellow ABS warning indicator is not illuminated, GO to Symptom Chart .
If yes and the yellow ABS indicator does illuminate, retrieve and document DTCs. Proceed to ABS Control Module Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index.
Clear continuous DTCs.
Start the vehicle and shift transmission into low gear.
Allow the vehicle to creep forward at idle for at least 45 seconds.
Does the yellow ABS indicator illuminate?
If yes, retrieve and document DTCs. Proceed to ABS Control Module Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index.
Slowly accelerate to 40 km/h (25 mph). Let at least 45 seconds elapse before reaching 40 km/h (25 mph).
Does the yellow ABS warning indicator illuminate?
If yes, retrieve and document DTCs. Proceed to ABS Control Module Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index.
Has the customer concern been addressed and corrected by the previous actions?
If yes, the system is OK.
If no, GO to Symptom Chart .

OP
OP
K

killav

Reaction score
Wanted to update this thread for posterity. It ended up being a bent tone ring on the passenger side front rotor like I suspected.

I used my digital calipers, and used my old rotors as a guide, and bent the ring back to about as perfect as I could get it.

I don't remember bumping the tone ring, I suspect it was shipped from Rockauto this way or was damaged in shipping and I just didn't catch it.

All is well now, no more low speed ABS actuation.

Attachments

• expedition rotor.jpg
    expedition rotor.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
K

killav

Reaction score
The ol girl passed inspection yesterday with no problem at all.

The tech took one look at my inspection sticker from 2012, and made some snide comment about it being out for 4 years.

I said yea, its been in storage.

He said, it ain't gonna pass.

I said hook it up and weep buddy!!!!

I had already borrowed my buddy's scanner, and had to drive that sucker about 90 miles before I could get the cat, evap, mis, O2, HTR, EGR, etcetera etcetera to check off and show "ready".

Now on to registration and back on the road again.......

Seven11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
congrats!

always a relief passing inspection!

mine had a check engine light with the P0171 code. I couldn't register the truck under my name, but it still had good registration until April.

after trying to reset the check engine light and trying to pass inspection when the monitors in the ECU hit ready, i decided to fix the issue. i would literally drive up to the SMOG place and the engine light would turn on.

But passed SMOG without a problem after i replaced a small rubber hose for the P0171 issue.

OP
OP
K

killav

Reaction score
My buddy that loaned me the small scanner also has a very expensive "big" scanner, it was about 10" or 12" square. That one read every code, from every system, ABS, Engine, Air Bag etc. I was shocked at how many codes were stored over the last 14 years in the KAM (keep alive memory). My expedition has only been to the dealer once the entire time I owned it. And that was for the brake recall/cruise control deal on the master cylinder (to stop it from burning down to the ground).

He did a factory reset to the computer, and that made it just like it rolled off the assembly line (what he told me). So I had to drive it a while to get everything checked off on the emissions stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett