New owner of a 98 EB with some minor issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Braadjonesbass

Reaction score
Truck has 152K and I've got a couple of issues. First is related to the air suspension, I suspect. I get a buzzing sound on startup and then it goes away. I turned off the air suspension and it quit doing it, but of course, the check suspension light is on... Is it a bad compressor?

Second - brake light just came on. Fluid level is good, brakes fine, so I'm wondering if it isn't just a sensor. Any ideas?

Third, truck never seems to get warm. It doesn't blow hot air with the heat on, and the temp gauge barely moves from cold. Anti-freeze blend???

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

1. Most likely compressor-related &/or a bad solenoid(s). You might also have leaking front air shocks &/or rear air springs. The compressor/dryer, on mine anyway, should be just forward of the battery on the passenger side. Have someone start it while you listen and see if part of the truck rises or not. You could also have a bad air union coupler beginning to show itself. It is under the master cylinder and will prevent air from going to the rear bags.
2. Is it the whole light, or just partial. I think just partial indicates something w/ the antilock system. Sometimes the sensor gets stuck, but usually indicative of something else though.
3. Thermostat most likely needs changing &/or water pump is not circulating the antifreeze.

I'm sure others will also chime in.

98Sexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
its not a bad compressor, its the bushing holding it in place. they are gone.. mine does the same thing and has been for two years now and it still works. But, I plan to eliminate that very soon and do the coil/strut conversion.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine just started doing that noise...thats your air...pumping up the truck to ride height...so when you shut it off...no air suspension

Shadowless127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My stepdad's 02 EB used to do this, but that's because it had a leaky rear shock and would squat while siting over night so as soon as he turned it on the system would air up the leaky shock.

CARO'S98EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the buzzing is the iar compressor and if it does it alot you have a leak probably a front airshock or rear air bag. you can replace the parts or convert it to regular springs [probaly cheaper] if it gets bad.

the brake light can be the fluid level sensor or the parking brake switch

X2 on the thermostat and new coolant. if you still have no heat there are other problems like plugged heater core or blend door problems. search for these on the sight