New Expedition owner, some Q's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just picked up a 2019 Exp. Limited "Stealth" a couple days ago and I have a couple questions I've not been able to suss out on my own.

1) How can I tell if I have the LED headlights? LED is not mentioned on the Monroney, just 'automatic headlights'... I do note that the lowbeam is rectangular, while on the pics I've seen of 2019 XLT's they seem to be round projectors. is that a giveaway ?

2) I bought this to tow a 5000 lb (max) camper... It has the HD Tow Package, and the automatic trailer backup feature, but when I read the owners manual aobut said trailer reverse steering, it seems to require stickers be placed on the trailer A frames but my trailer has propane tanks that block about the back 1/2 or 1/3rd of where those stickers would go. Am I SOL? is that trailer reverse knob even worth using ?

3) I want to downgrade the 22" wheels to 18's, so I can put decent sidewalls on here and be safer on rough potholed roads... I gather the Expeidtion g4 18" size is 18x8.5 ET44 6 bolt with 275/65R18's.... Should any F150 style wheels that meet those numbers do ?

PXL_20230830_190242362-X4.jpg

gtr09

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All Limited Stealth packages have LEDs.

I think the trailer reverse knob is for preventing divorces when someone's wife is backing up the trailer. ymmv.

Edit: forgot to add - there are other features you get when setting up a trailer fully. I believe the blind spot detection then extends to the length of the trailer. Otherwise when it detects a trailer plugged in the blind spot detection will get disabled. Pretty handy feature when setup and also annoying it turns it completely off when not.

OP
OP
Left Coast Geek

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All Limited Stealth packages have LEDs.

I think the trailer reverse knob is for preventing divorces when someone's wife is backing up the trailer. ymmv.

Edit: forgot to add - there are other features you get when setting up a trailer fully. I believe the blind spot detection then extends to the length of the trailer. Otherwise when it detects a trailer plugged in the blind spot detection will get disabled. Pretty handy feature when setup and also annoying it turns it completely off when not.

re: LEDs, ah, cool. the description in the 2019 catalog made them seem optional on Limited, and didn't mentioned them under SE or Stealth.

re; wife backing up. mine once jacknifed a tent trailer behind an E150, totalling both, so now refuses to tow anything, all driving is my responsibility.

good to know re the blind spot stuff. my trailer is only 7' wide (and 21' long hitch to bumper) so the only real blind spot is directly behind the trailer.

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a travel trailer with propane tanks also. Consistent with the directions, I was easily able to put the stickers on. I don’t have the instructions in front of me, but I think they just need to be no closer than 4” from the ball.

if you zoom in on this picture you can just barely see it under the chain laying across it…

IMG_4333.jpeg

I cropped it for a better view

IMG_4333.jpeg

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I forgot to mention above, years ago I trailered a lot and was really good at it. A close friend who also has a travel trailer and an F150 told me I had to try the back up knob. He has been helping me get it back into my storage lot Space. I tried it my second time out. Within a very few minutes I was very comfortable with it and won’t go back. And I’m a 70:year old codger!

OP
OP
Left Coast Geek

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a travel trailer with propane tanks also. Consistent with the directions, I was easily able to put the stickers on. I don’t have the instructions in front of me, but I think they just need to be no closer than 4” from the ball.

if you zoom in on this picture you can just barely see it under the chain laying across it…

I cropped it for a better view

ok, the instructions in the owners manual said it had to be 7" from the hitch ball and extend to 22" from the ball.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No one seems to have answered your question about the F150 wheels, the simple answer is yes almost any F150 wheel will fit your car, however the expedition rear wheel axle does protrude a bit further out of the hub assembly than the F150, so sometimes the center hub of your F150 wheel will not fit on, you can either cut of the excess of the axle stub (with an angle grinder) or just not run the centre hub, but it depends on what F150 wheel and center hub you choose, some fit, some don’t. There is no downside to cutting off the excess threaded end of the stub shaft on the expedition, then any F150 wheel & hub will fit your car. hope I haven’t confused you..

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok, the instructions in the owners manual said it had to be 7" from the hitch ball and extend to 22" from the ball.
Whatever it said in the manual mine is in compliance with. Like I said, I did not have the manual in front of me. Mine does work where you see it in the picture.

VBreithaupt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks jjscsix for comments/ info. I gave up on setting up mine trailer reverse knob because of the 7" distance recommendation in manual, my sticker came out to being half on the front hitch piece and 1/2 on the rail going back to the camper, not allowing it to set up because of slight change in surface levels. I going to move mine forward and hope it works like yours.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett