New Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not to beat a dead horse but has anyone outfitted their Expedition with the new 2021 version of the Pirelli Scorpion All Seasons (Scorpion AS Plus 3)?

Pirelli claims performance, tread wear, etc, is all improved. Trying to figure out if this is the best choice or the Continental CrossContact LX25, or perhaps even just going with the tried and true Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II, but I'm all for trying the latest and greatest.

I have 22" wheels (Special Edition) and read all the reviews / videos on TireRack. Just looking for a good highway cruiser / around town tire that is comfortable cruising and not loud but can also tackle some rain and once a winter snowfall here in Nashville (my Hankooks did not handle snow / ice so well last year!) so it needs to have a really good winter rating.

Tread life on the new Pirelli is rated at 800, which seems really good,.

mlogan

Reaction score
I put the Scorpion AS Plus 3s on this July. They seem to have better wet traction than last gen, really about the same otherwise, maybe a bit smoother. Treadwear unclear yet - probably not much difference and when towing the TT really eats into them.
Others love the Michelin LTX, not sure if they're as sporty - as much as you can toss the Expy in a corner.
Winters will go on soon anyway here in MN.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put the Scorpion AS Plus 3s on this July. They seem to have better wet traction than last gen, really about the same otherwise, maybe a bit smoother. Treadwear unclear yet - probably not much difference and when towing the TT really eats into them.
Others love the Michelin LTX, not sure if they're as sporty - as much as you can toss the Expy in a corner.
Winters will go on soon anyway here in MN.
Good to hear the tires are working well. I’ll probably give it a shot as I know the Scorpion 2’s are very well rated and I’d love it if they’re even slightly better in terms of ride and wet / snow grip. It sounds like I likely would t be disappointed there?

bobward757

Reaction score
I’ve had them for 3000 miles so far. Terrific wet. Nice and quiet highway. Waiting for the first snow to fly.

Lghtspeedz

Reaction score
Pirelli claims performance, tread wear, etc, is all improved. Trying to figure out if this is the best choice or the Continental CrossContact LX25, or perhaps even just going with the tried and true Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II, but I'm all for trying the latest and greatest.
I had the Verde All Season II's on an MDX. They were ok in dry conditions, but I was disappointed. Treadlife was decent, wet traction was ok - not great. Snow traction was mediocre. Road noise was ok. I felt like the tires were a little more squirrels than the OEM's that came with the vehicle. I put about 15,000 miles on them before I traded the car in.

I had a co-worker with the same MDX who put the Continental CrossContact LX 25's on her car. She likes them a lot. The TireRack reviews are promising. I plan to put those on my Expy when the Hankooks wear out, unless something better comes along. But moral of the story, I would not recommend the Verde's.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What worries me about the Continentals is many reviews from Tire Rack regarding terrible tram-lining and that there is excessive vibration when up to speed that balancing could not fix.

I have a minor vibration with my OEM Hankooks so I definitely don’t want that!

My expedition is RWD only so grip is most important to me in adverse conditions while still being nice and smooth on road-trips.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just put on these Pirelli tires today. Initial impressions are good. Quite than stock Hankook.

I will be taking 300 mile road trip this weekend and will report back

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pirelli's drive great, but if these achieve a decent tread life, that'd be a first for the company

tecco

Reaction score
I put a set on my Jeep Grand Cherokee recently. Replaced the Michelin Premiers that were an excellent tire but, wear too fast.
So far the Plus 3s have been impressive. Impoved from the 1st generation Scorpions I had previously. Very quiet, handles good, a little softer ride. Good in Rain, will see how they do this winter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65