New radio Install question please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

King Cobra

Reaction score
I am installing the Lanzar SVTV64 in my 1999 Expedition. I have the sleeve in the adapter plate ready to go and my harness is ready to go. I have questions on whether my radio will slide all the way in on the top half of the opening though. The old radio is wedged shaped and deep at the bottom,but the adapter puts the new radio at the top. I called the adapter company and they said that the radio goes on the top....... Has anyone done this? It may fit,but I have my doubts. Do I have to cut the plastic back(inside my dash) for my radio to slide in all the way? My radio is standard depth as usual. I am using the Scosche(spelling?) adapter kit that has the little 'glove' compartment at the bottom. I can take and post photos if you wish to see in the radio opening. Thanks for your help. Scott V.

jeff1998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used the same kit for my 98, the radio has to go at the bottom. The little storage tray goes on top. It will not fit the other way.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have no experience with that particular install, but if you put in a double DIN unit, you do have to cut that plastic piece in the top back of the radio opening. So cutting it is not going to ruin anything if you put the radio on top.

OP
OP
K

King Cobra

Reaction score
I have no experience with that particular install, but if you put in a double DIN unit, you do have to cut that plastic piece in the top back of the radio opening. So cutting it is not going to ruin anything if you put the radio on top.

Thanks, that is what I thought I might have to do. I figure I could Dremmel the plastic wedge out but, was afraid of hurting the integrity of the plastic strength/ bracing. Seems to be strong and with a metal framing above it anyway. I will call the company ( Scosche) one more time and make sure we are on the same page before I do this. I don't know if I can flip the adapter( Part # FD1327B) (web page-> http://www.scosche.com , but, I know, once it is snapped in place, it nearly has to be destroyed to get it back out..$22 :( ... Also, if I may, I will use this as my sterio build page in case anyone has any questions or suggestions. Thanks for your advise. Scott

OP
OP
K

King Cobra

Reaction score
And the winner is.............. :D ...OK, just got off the phone with a Scosche Tech and I explained that I am ready to install my radio and just wanted to make sure I didn't have a better route to save my dashfrom being cut up. The tech explained that the radio had to go on the bottom and I could flip the adapter! BUT, I would have to remove/keep different mounting tabs that the instructions didn't explain. Glad I didn't remove any yet.....Otherwise I had to use Tabs 'B' top and bottom. Well, little did he know, I called them last night and one guy said the radio went on top :nono: . ALSO, I asked the tech as I was just peaking to today, if he had any PDF's for my particular vehicle installation and he said YES and would e-mail them right to me! GEE, if only the package only contained this info to begin with. The little instructions that did come with the kit, only stated what tabs to keep for a certain year vehicle and didn't state that the adapter was flippable! Well, Thanks to both your answers made me push further for more info. Thanks for your help :rockband: . Scott V.

OP
OP
K

King Cobra

Reaction score
1991 Lanzar SVTV64 LCD/radio build

Ok, here is the beginning of my sterio mod on my 1999 Expy. I have removed the factory radio using two U clips as 'Ford' stated I could make out of coat hangers. The radio slid out easier than the plugs that were in the back of the radio.. FIRST, though, I unsnapped the surrounding dash panel that has my 4 X 4 switch in it and unplugged the switch which is ok to do and leave it unplugged as long as needed. This won't hinder the transfer case and I have auto 4 X 4 anyway. I just can't go into HIGH of LOW until I plug everything back togeather. OK, The radio is out, my din sleeve is placed into my Scosche adapter, my wiring harness is ready with a cool mod and I only need to get my radio antenna cable extention later today so I can run everything under my console and install the radio. If you aren't familiar with this radio, It is a two part system with a reciever/LCD 6.4" tv screen that goes into the dash and the Amp/transmitter goes to the rear of the vehicle and ran about $500, 9 years ago..I bought it two years ago from my Brother in Law for $200 two years ago NEW in the box. The two units are only connected by two cables. A black one for radio opererations and a grey one for the TV operations and go to the rear unit. NO power/speaker wires or antenna plug into unit at the dash! Cool stuff there! The 'brain' unit will be mounted just behind my rear seat and next to the amps that I will be connecting to it! I also purchased a new harness for the radio which will run from my vehicle harness to the amp/transmitter. I also took the old harness, snipped the speaker wires to 5" because I won't need them, and soldered the Batt/Memory/ground to the other harness 'before' the 'choke' box so I can have power to my unit when switching from standard door speakers to my AMP box system. Hope you follow me so far. Anyway, here are my photos of where I am so far. Thanks for your interest. Scott V.

Attachments

• 1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-01.jpg
    1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-01.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 210
  • 1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-02.jpg
    1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-02.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 524
  • 1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-03.jpg
    1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-03.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 370
  • 1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-04.jpg
    1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-04.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 226
  • 1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-05.jpg
    1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-05.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 464
OP
OP
K

King Cobra

Reaction score
Continued photos

Attachments

• 1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-06.jpg
    1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-06.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-07.jpg
    1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-07.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-08.jpg
    1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-08.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 180
  • 1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-09.jpg
    1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-09.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-10.jpg
    1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-10.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 171
OP
OP
K

King Cobra

Reaction score
The radio and harness

Attachments

• 1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-11.jpg
    1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-11.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 185
  • 1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-12.jpg
    1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-12.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 174
  • 1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-13.jpg
    1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-13.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-15.jpg
    1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-15.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-16.jpg
    1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-16.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 178
OP
OP
K

King Cobra

Reaction score
More photos......And it appears that the sides of my center console are removable so I may not have to remove the entire console to route my cables and wiring! Anyone know this to be fact? Thanks. Scott V.

Attachments

• 1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-18.jpg
    1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-18.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 167
  • 1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-17.jpg
    1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-17.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 209
  • 1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-14.jpg
    1999 Expedition Radio Sterio build-14.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 688
OP
OP
K

King Cobra

Reaction score
Until I post more photos of the progress and if you want more photos of anything I am doing just let me know. A radio swap is easy to do and yes, the harness connectors are right on the money and the color code matched perfectly. Also, the colored wires are stamped with what they are used for, R Speaker+ /L speaker -/ Batt +/ Batt -/ Memory+/ etc. etc on the harness adapter. thanks for your interest. Scott.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mphilli