New spare tire carrier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Basically, what I want to know, is if I found an old rear tire swing gate off a Bronco or Bronco II, can it be mounted to an Expy? Is there enough frame back there to support that weight?

No way to mount it to Expedition, in stock form

SWWAFordGuy

Reaction score
No way to mount it to Expedition, in stock form

Well that sucks. Had anyone here modded the rear of an Expedition to mount one? If so, what was done? Not looking for any kind of bumper mount but an actual rear tire carrier swing gate that would work.

On a side note, what was changed or left out or whatever that would not allow a rear tire carrier from an old full size Bronco to be mounted? I know the tech has changed since the Broncos were first made but the body size is close to an Expedition, width, height, etc. Probably some internal frame work was changed that wouldn't allow anyone to mount that without some serious mods. Either way, be nice to know.

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 78 Bronco's, both have the swing arm tire carriers, even if you modded them, it still will not work, the rear corner of the expedition is to thin,above the tail light, needs to wrap around as it does below the tail light, then you may have better luck making a swing arm work.

Your talking about 2 totally different vehicles that have nothing compatible in 20+ years apart.

Now if you can fabricate parts, then the possibility to make a swing arm, from scratch, for the expedition, is very high.
If I sat there long enough, I would be able to make one work,from scratch, but I think it is a waste of time/ money and hours, for myself to do, because I am happy where my spare tire is now.

So, I say if you really want a swing arm tire carrier for your Expedtion, build one from scratch. It is possible.

SWWAFordGuy

Reaction score
Well, it was just an idea that something like that could be mounted to the rear of an Expedition. Good to know that there is now no way for an older carrier to be mounted there. Still sucks a little, lol. Don't have the mechanical knowledge for build one from scratch and now that I know what there will be required mods to make it work like an older Bronco, not a project that I want to pursue. Thank you for the insight and information, that really helped point me in the right direction.

Texpedition45

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, it was just an idea that something like that could be mounted to the rear of an Expedition. Good to know that there is now no way for an older carrier to be mounted there. Still sucks a little, lol. Don't have the mechanical knowledge for build one from scratch and now that I know what there will be required mods to make it work like an older Bronco, not a project that I want to pursue. Thank you for the insight and information, that really helped point me in the right direction.

I wouldn't say it won't work. That's on my list of mods. I'm taking the interior of the csrgo area apart and looking at what to reiforce to add the tire carrier from an FSB Bronco.

Here's the biggest obstacle I've observed so far, more so than the reinforcements:

There isn't any space above the tailight for the upper hinge to attach to as the rear hatch gets in the way.

Now the dilemma is: do I clearance cut the corner of the rear hatch around the passenger side rear taillight, or find a way to modify the upper hinge to somehow clear the hatch and also work?

SWWAFordGuy

Reaction score
I wouldn't say it won't work. That's on my list of mods. I'm taking the interior of the csrgo area apart and looking at what to reiforce to add the tire carrier from an FSB Bronco.

Here's the biggest obstacle I've observed so far, more so than the reinforcements:

There isn't any space above the tailight for the upper hinge to attach to as the rear hatch gets in the way.

Now the dilemma is: do I clearance cut the corner of the rear hatch around the passenger side rear taillight, or find a way to modify the upper hinge to somehow clear the hatch and also work?

Would it be at all possible to build up the hinge that would go on the body, spread the arms a little and mount the bottom hinge to the bumper without causing too much torque issues? Meaning the body and the bumper don't actually move the same although they are on the same frame. That would put the hinges straddling the light. But, that would take some metal work and light engineering.

It would appear that to make a carrier work from a Bronco or similar would mean adjusting the position of the tail lights on the Expy to facilitate the mounting of the bracket to be above and below the light. That would be a lot of body work and some rewiring on both sides to line up the lights. That option is probably a bit more than most would want to do.

Texpedition45

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would it be at all possible to build up the hinge that would go on the body, spread the arms a little and mount the bottom hinge to the bumper without causing too much torque issues? Meaning the body and the bumper don't actually move the same although they are on the same frame. That would put the hinges straddling the light. But, that would take some metal work and light engineering.

It would appear that to make a carrier work from a Bronco or similar would mean adjusting the position of the tail lights on the Expy to facilitate the mounting of the bracket to be above and below the light. That would be a lot of body work and some rewiring on both sides to line up the lights. That option is probably a bit more than most would want to do.

I completely agree with you. I've been putting it off for a while now for that same reason. Aside from just getting it on there without deforming anything, the body work to make it look good is a daunting task.

The other option I've been looking at is the tire carrier behind the bumper using the old tow hitch (like with 80 series land cruisers), or the bumper mounted Tomken option.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/cheap-swing-out-tire-carrier-for-stock-bumper.683674/

At $284 from Quadratec it seems cheap enough to take a gamble and see if it'll work on our vehicles.