New to me 2003 Expedition, what should I do now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckyeah

Reaction score
Hi all! New to having an expedition, and new to the fourm.
I had ford hot rods (highboys, rancheros) and sandrails. But those days are behind me now.

My wife and I drive newer cars, hers a malibu and mine is a ram. We wanted a bigger car for a future family and for our dog+camping. We will most likely hold on to this X and sell her car.

We picked up this expedition 2 days ago, it has kinda high miles (160,000) but it is super super clean. It seems to have clean fluids and fresh oil and good rubber (belts and boots) and no damage except a little crease on the back bumper.

I have a few questions for ya'll:
1. Is there any preventative maintenance I should do now?
2. What can I do to get it to last another 5-10 years.
3. What do I need to put a double din stereo in it?
4. Is it realistically reasonable to daily drive this 30 miles a day?
5. What should I watch out for on this expedition?

We went with the used expedition because it seemed like a totally risky move to get a 750 dollar payment on a new SUV which basically has the same features as this.
Any help is greatly appreciated, I do not know the history on it besides it being in good shape.
Thank you!
-Bryan
2003 Expedition XLT 4x4

Attachments

• Expedtion 1 (1).jpg
    Expedtion 1 (1).jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Expedtion 1 (2).jpg
    Expedtion 1 (2).jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 6

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Congrats, these are great and mostly dependable rigs. Mine is an everyday driver. 30 Mi/day is a nonissue. I noticed driving like an ass drops my mpg alot, so I chill out a little and get ~18 mpg overall, which isn't terrible.
I had to replace my intake manifold to repair a coolant leak, and I have a rattle sound on startup so will replace the timing chains and guides soon. Those are the biggest weak links on these. Other than that, I change the oil every 7500 w synthetic oil and Motorcraft filter. Trans, power steering, differentials, coolant, transfer case fluid services every 60k. Fuel filter every 30k (fuel pump will fail if neglected).
Remove and clean the throttle body and bleed the brakes if those have not been done already.
A common problem I have not had is burned out fuel pump relay (on the fuse panel). I have not seen any way to prevent this, but lots of info on how to repair.