New (to me) 2010 Expy. New to Ford. Newb questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could do that, but I wouldn't recommend doing it at highway speeds. Besides, if it's not shifting properly then the issue should be corrected rather than worked around. If your vehicle is under warranty or the dealer is in some way concerned they will be responsible for the cost of repairs, "operating as designed" is their way of absolving themselves of responsibility. I am not saying that is necessarily what is going on here, but advisors are trained to pitch that line.

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would be willing to bet money it's your coil packs. You are close to 100K and they do get weak with age and use. There's no surefire way to test them under load, and many times they aren't acting up enough to throw codes. I've been down this road with 2 Expy's ('07 and '10) and had exactly the same problem you've had...mash the gas and the engine hesitates, thus the transmission can't find the right gear, and the engine feels like a 4 cylinder. Some of the coils may be fully capable of delivering enough spark during idle and slow speeds to mask their deficiencies, but under hard acceleration they aren't delivering enough spark to fully ignite all the gas. I remember being convinced that it was the transmission the first time it happened.

OEM Coil packs are very good and reliable, but I've been experimenting and I'm having great luck with these AC/Delco ones from Mexico. I hate buying parts like this, but $112 vs. $400+ means I can buy 2 sets if needed and still be way ahead. I've had no problem with them so far. New ACDelco BS C1659 Set of 8 High Performance Ignition Coil Brown Boot | eBay

You can change these yourself if you are even slightly mechanically inclined. There are videos on YouTube. For $112, I would start here. You are going to need them anyway when you hit 100K miles.

My 2 cents...hope it helps. Thanks

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would be willing to bet money it's your coil packs. You are close to 100K and they do get weak with age and use. There's no surefire way to test them under load, and many times they aren't acting up enough to throw codes. I've been down this road with 2 Expy's ('07 and '10) and had exactly the same problem you've had...mash the gas and the engine hesitates, thus the transmission can't find the right gear, and the engine feels like a 4 cylinder. Some of the coils may be fully capable of delivering enough spark during idle and slow speeds to mask their deficiencies, but under hard acceleration they aren't delivering enough spark to fully ignite all the gas. I remember being convinced that it was the transmission the first time it happened.

OEM Coil packs are very good and reliable, but I've been experimenting and I'm having great luck with these AC/Delco ones from Mexico. I hate buying parts like this, but $112 vs. $400+ means I can buy 2 sets if needed and still be way ahead. I've had no problem with them so far. New ACDelco BS C1659 Set of 8 High Performance Ignition Coil Brown Boot | eBay

You can change these yourself if you are even slightly mechanically inclined. There are videos on YouTube. For $112, I would start here. You are going to need them anyway when you hit 100K miles.

My 2 cents...hope it helps. Thanks

You can and should test the COPs before replacing them. While the ones used in these vehicles are prone to failure, they are not a maintenance item. At nearly 100K all 8 of mine are functioning as they should and my average MPG is 16.8 to boot, which is virtually unheard of in an EL. Your advice to me would be to replace them "just because"? The ones in my wife's car have 180K on them and are functioning as they should as well. Should we replace those just for the heck of it also?

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's my preference and opinion. You can take it with a grain of salt. This is why I end my posts with "My 2 cents".

I base it on the fact that I've had 2 expeditions and one F150, all with 5.4v, all with over 100K miles. All 3 of the vehicles have had at least one or more COP's fail around 100K. Again, that's 100% of my 5.4v's. My opinion is that if one of them fails, a few more may not be far behind. I would rather spend the money and replace them all at the same time, rather than wait for each one to fail and then try to test them all to see which one it is, only to have yet another one fail a few months later.

Again, this is my opinion. It is not a recommended maintenance item by Ford. You can certainly take a different approach and I won't mind in the least. I'm not here to argue.

Thanks!

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The dealership thought that overnight it was maybe losing fuel pressure due to a bad fuel injector, thus rough starts in the morning until pressure was built back up. I'm also wondering if that is also why my crank time seems a little longer than expected.
i'd think that would be easy to check out, at least whether or not fuel pressure loss overnite is happening

mmaylock

Reaction score
Try putting some dilectric grease in each end of the spring in the COP boots. It's a very easy and inexpensive test. Not to mention it will help maintain a good connection regardless. It cured my '07 from poor acceleration that I had been experiencing for months.

OP
OP
M

MCExpy10

Reaction score
Try putting some dilectric grease in each end of the spring in the COP boots. It's a very easy and inexpensive test. Not to mention it will help maintain a good connection regardless. It cured my '07 from poor acceleration that I had been experiencing for months.

That is an excellent idea. I had the spark plugs replaced along with the boots. Is there any reason you wouldn't want to do that? Or maybe any reason why the dealership wouldn't have done that?

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also, about the sunroof. It didn't use to do that. I used to have to hold the button down to get it to all the way open. If all of yours are doing it too though, I guess maybe I was doing it wrong. Why does it leave just 2" though, weird? Haha!

I have a 2007 EL with a sunroof. Mine will auto-open (except for the 2") like your but I need to hold the button to close.

The manual says that it leaves the 2" to reduce buffeting at speed with the sunroof open.

Rgarding the transmission, have you asked about reprogramming the trans? I wonder if its a mapping issue. My 07 responds very well to my right foot (it also has the 5.4 3V with 6 speed).

About the coil plugs, I consider myself lucky that I have the originals at 173,000 miles. :)

Last edited: