New (to me) 2015 Expedition Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shuck

Reaction score
My family recently traded off our 2012 Tahoe Hybrid with 180k miles for a 2015 Expedition with 80k miles. We have had it for less than two months. I went to the Expedition for the independent rear suspension, better tech integration, and decent fuel economy/power out of the EcoBoost. I also really like the Ford dealer in our area compared to the others. Unfortunately, the Ford dealer didn't have a 15-17 Expedition, so I ended up buying it from another dealer in the area.

So far, I am less than impressed with it. It has had more problems in the first month of ownership than our Tahoe Hybrid gave us in 4 years.

- On the way home from the dealer, it popped the wrench symbol and went in to limp mode. Immediately took it back (after pulling over on the interstate and restarting it). They said if it happened again to bring it back, sometimes when they clean the engine bay weird things happen (which I agree with). Happened to my wife again 2 days later on the interstate in traffic at 70mph. She was not impressed. Took it back to them, they kept it for a week and a half to replace the electronic throttle body (which I told them about). Since then, no more of those issues.

- At the first sign of cold, the driver's side running board retracts intermittently. Maybe 50% of the time. I cleaned and lubed it myself and now it's up to 75%.

- Rear window defroster now has only 4 working lines on the entire window.

- Rear lift gate paint started bubbling and peeling off. Submitted for warranty replacement, Ford denied (as expected on a 2015).

- Front blower motor started squealing/whistling.

- Front climate seats stopped working this weekend. Pulled the DSCM and it STILL only has one ground wire, and of course, it is burned.

- I'm not 100% sure the 4WD is working. When in 4H, it doesn't lurch if I try to turn on a surface with good traction. Maybe there's an open central diff in 4H that prevents this, but if so I don't expect much traction out of the 4WD when I need it. I still need to do more evaluation on this. No codes from FORSCAN.

I went back to the dealer I bought it from with my list of issues (before the heated seats quit) and they basically said they had offered me an extended warranty at the time of purchase, so they couldn't do much, maybe work with me on the price a bit on an extended warranty. I shouldn't need an extended warranty to make it through 2 months when I buy a vehicle from a major dealer. I expect this crap when buying from Bob's Used Cars on the corner in the shady part of town, not when buying from a major dealer (local Audi/VW).

At this point, I can't run away from this thing fast enough. Unless someone on here can convince me that these things are ultimately reliable and Ford stands behind their vehicles, I plan on getting rid of it at the earliest opportunity as it looks like nothing but a huge money pit. I'd rather eat a few thousand in trade value than wonder what disaster awaits.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In 2015, I bought a new 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 - my first Ford after owning GM and Dodge vehicles for 46 years. I also bought the Ford premium extended warranty (still in effect).

I ordered the vehicle through a local dealer - and it arrived with defects at delivery. The quality and reliability has been fair to poor. I take meticulous care of my vehicles, and keep them garaged. I have never towed with the vehicle or hauled heavy cargo. Strictly passenger use.

The paint on the rear hatch began bubbling prior to the expiration of the new-car warranty. The dealer said that the corrosion had to perforate the panel for it to be repaired. Ford improved / changed the corrosion warranty on the 2016 models.

The selling dealer service was okay - then became very poor (warranty and customer pay). I tried a second Ford dealer, and the service there was poor. I tried a third Ford dealer, and the service was fine until a visit last week.

I’ve learned one thing about buying my first new Ford: Poor quality + poor dealer service = no reason to ever buy another new Ford.

Good luck.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All these big trucks take money to maintain. My aunts 2015 Denali was the biggest pile. The 2015 Yukon bought new has had 2 A/C compressor replacements, 2 transmission failures in warranty with 2 torque converter failures (92,000 miles), running board motors seized after 2 years. All plastic trim pieces have fallen off the doors in the wind, undercarriage got very rusty, and lastly headlights were starting to leak and fill with moisture. It’s a similar story with many Fords, Honda’s, Dodge, Nissan, you name it. Lots of lemons when you make millions.

aagitch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is exactly why I bought a '17 XLT with pretty much no bells and whistles. Not as much stuff to go wrong. It shouldn't be that way but that seems to be the norm these days with most makes. Only make I've had zero problems with was the toyotas I've owned and my current Expy.

OP
OP
S

shuck

Reaction score
JExpedition07,

I've owned a number of large trucks across the spectrum (probably over 10 of them, mostly GM) and I've never had the number of issues in years that I've seen in 1.5 months with my Expedition. I am usually driving higher mileage vehicles, too (100k+). I put 110k on that Tahoe I had (from 72k-182k) and the only repair it needed in that time above regular maintenance was a steering sensor and the Center Mounted Stop light. It had all the bells and whistles and the only bell that gave us any issues was (ironically) the driver heated seat, which only worked on high, but it still worked.

I wanted to get away from GM because they seem to rust faster than the other vehicles around here and the local GM brand dealers aren't as good as the local Ford one is. I usually fix most of my own stuff, which is what I'm doing with the seats and probably will do with the running board. However, the best dealer is the one I don't have to see because their vehicles are reliable.

Honestly, at this point, I'm considering a *gasp* Japanese minivan. Maybe we'll try out a Sequoia, but I'm not real hot on those. For some reason, Toyota can't make their SUVs get fuel economy that is close to the domestics. I highly doubt the increased fuel consumption makes them more reliable, but it might just be worth the extra cost if it is going to last.

OP
OP
S

shuck

Reaction score
Update:

The dealer I bought the Expedition from (not even a Ford dealer) is buying back my Expedition from me minus paperwork costs and mileage. It's a VW/Audi/Volvo dealer who definitely didn't have to do that, but they didn't even hesitate when I asked them if that was an option. Kudos to them for being willing to do something like that - I may actually shop there again in the future!

I've owned upwards of 40 different vehicles at this point in my life and haven't ever had issues like this Expedition, unless I was buying a vehicle that I knew needed a lot of work and it was priced appropriately. It was literally one new problem per week that I owned it. Since my original post, it has had two instances of VERY rough idle during normal driving (hopefully just spark plugs) and the transmission is late to catch every once in a while while accelerating from a stop light.

Every vehicle type has its common issues and these forums are always great way to find those out and fix/mitigate them. However, the last straw (of many) was when I pulled the seat controller after the heated seats had stopped working and discovered that in 2015, after a design refresh and knowing about a problem since 2008, the DSCM wire bundle STILL only had one ground wire. WTF Ford? How can they not implement an engineering fix as simple as an additional ground wire that they've had in a TSB for years?!?!? Any company that operates that way is not interested in making reliable equipment - period. It was at that point I realized that Ford didn't give two poops about the Expedition product line and I wanted no part of it anymore.

It's too bad, because I spent years in my Tahoe wishing I had an Expedition for the better ride, the independent rear suspension, fold-flat rear seats, better local dealer service, and Sync. But as a father with 3 kids, reliability is at the top of my list - so I guess it's off to a Japanese minivan with me.

This forum (in my short time on it) has been great - thanks for the help and all of the good information on here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett