new to me expedition with a problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuckinva

Reaction score
im new to the forum and new to expeditions,i just but one about a month ago and it has a few minor{i hope} problems.its an 97 xlt 4wd with the 5.4 in it.
first question.when i first bought it i tried the 4wd system and evrything worked now all of a suden when you turn the dash switch from 2h to 4awd the light on the dash comes on but when i go from 4awd to 4h or 4L nothing happens,im thinking the dash switch but if anybody can clue me in.
second problem is the overdrive "off" light on the shifter stalk blinks from time to time.well actually only twice and both times i turned the truck off and restarted it and the light stayed off.could this mean the trans may be running hot? any help would be greatly appriciated

AW_3_3

Reaction score
Well, try putting the transmission in neutral first. I know that to go to 4 Lo you need to put the tranny in Neutral, but for 4 Hi it should work in gear up to 55MPH. See if putting it in N does anything. One of the things on expeditions that isn't too uncommon to go bad is the shifter motor for the Transfer Case. If you look under your truck at the transfer case, at the rear where the driveshaft from the rear axle connects, above it someplace should be an electric motor oh, about the size of a fist. It should have wires coming out it too. That is the selector motor. If putting it in Neutral doesn't help, I suggest taking it to a dealer and having them check the selector motor.

Last edited:

GeneRL

Reaction score
Electric Shift Motor

I had the same problem with my 1997 Expo. and it turned out to be the Electric shift motor.

I think it unlikely to be the switch, however you can test the switch to be sure.

My OD light on the gear selector is out, could be yours is going out too.