Newbie Exhaust Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03ddie

Reaction score
I want my exhaust to sound a little better so I called a shop that some guys at work recommended to me. They said I have 3" tubing already and that they could put a Flowmaster 70 on for $200. Is this a good deal? One of the guys at work has a 70 on his GMC 4.8L and it sounds good enough I guess.

mustangrfast88

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well for one i dont think you have 3 inch exhaust on your truck if it is still factoy and if it was me i would put a mac cat back exhaust sytem on it thats what i am putting on mine

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The stock pipe size in 2.75 on the 03. Just replacing the muffler will make a good difference on power and sound, but there is no need to step up to the 3 inch pipe unless you plan on adding a supercharger because I noticed a loss of cruising torque after i replaced the pipe. I first just replaced the muffler with a magnaflow and noticed an improvement everywhere on power. I then added a mandrel bent pipe and lost some torque (crusing only) but it did run a little better up top......
Matt

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep agreed. I actually put a resonator behind my magnaflow now because when I put the high flow cats on it got way too loud for me.....

G

I have an 03 Eddie Bauer I put on a triple chamber Flowmaster from the cat back and only added a chrome tip,,,,,,WHAT A DIFFERANCE. Sound is throaty and not too loud, Torque is a little noticable, BUT MY MPG INCREASED 2/10 OF MILE PER GALLON. So I now get 17 mpg instead of 16.8 All this for $138.00 the price of three tanks of gas here.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bobthegod
I have an 03 Eddie Bauer I put on a triple chamber Flowmaster from the cat back and only added a chrome tip,,,,,,WHAT A DIFFERANCE. Sound is throaty and not too loud, Torque is a little noticable, BUT MY MPG INCREASED 2/10 OF MILE PER GALLON. So I now get 17 mpg instead of 16.8 All this for $138.00 the price of three tanks of gas here.

$138 for parts and labor, or did you put it on yourself? If it's that cheap, I might but one on.

OP
OP

03ddie

Reaction score
UPDATE

I just had a 3" Flowmaster 70 installed with a 3.5" SS tip all on the stock 2.75" tubing. IT SOUNDS GREAT. I wanted a nice low rumble but something not too loud as it is the family SUV and this was the perfect match. $242 installed

Now I have been getting 22-24 mpg on the highway at 70 and before the best I ever got was 19(usually 17). I even saw it hit 26 for about 5 minutes with a mild tail wind.

I cant wait to see what the cold air intake that is on the way will do!

Last edited:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hehe I don't have a cat back system, but I'll tell you that a CAI will really make the V8 growl :) I wonder how good it'll sound with the catback you already have.