Newbie here, Dead Ins Cluster, Radio, Windows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

mbs xk8

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm at work now... but I've got the steering column exposed and the wires look okay. I'll put on my reading glasses tomorrow and really inspect their condition. I don't see any idiot taps on the column anywhere.

I'll update you tomorrow. And I really thank you for your guidance on this one. You're being very kind helping me diagnose this!!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please look and see if you can unplug the ignition switch connector without removing the ign switch. Might be jumping a few connections if you can. Don't disconnect at this point. Ford Service Manual says to pull the steering wheel to do this - don't.

I'm going to assume that the driver door is open when you remove the key from the ignition and the fuse blows. Please try one more time but with all doors closed, turn key to run then back to lock, remove the key. If the fuse blows you will not have power to the cluster for a second attempt at starting.

Additional 9/21/14
Also please check the ign switch for being securely mounted to the column and the key cylinder isn't sloppy in its mounting. Also check to see if the door chime works with the key left in when you open the driver door.

Ign switch connector attached

Attachments

• 150-32 C248-C250.pdf
    26.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mbs xk8

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can access the ignition switch no problem

With a good fuse 21, The door chime doesn't sound. The door ajar switch is on in the dash. Everything works when I start the car and stop it as long as I don't take out the key. When I turn the key to the remove location the fuse blows

Oh, and the dome light doesn't go out. It stays on.

Theres not a lot of play in the ignition. Maybe 1/8" if I jiggle the key in and out or back and forth

OP
OP
M

mbs xk8

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update, I replaced blown fuse 21 with a good fuse while the key was in run position and drivers door open and a chime sounded 5 times

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is the abs warning chime. Proves there isn't a problem with the chime in the cluster. I'll look for the procedure to remove the lock cylinder and ign switch once I'm home. Some lock cyl have exposed contacts that could be shorting when you turn the key back.

OP
OP
M

mbs xk8

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2nd update

Could the all be related to a bad fuse box??

Ive just lost the blower motors too. No a/c light, no defrost light. Ive switched the relays and no change.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doubt it but it doesn't hurt to look as long as you don't break it. Take pics of both sides of the board and send them to me.

Do they salt the roads during winter there?

Most if not all of the systems connect to the three large connectors on the lower driverside firewall. Corrosion here will raise all kinds of hell with electrics. Don't take them apart yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mbs xk8

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To be honest, I bought this car from a big time Acura dealership last Saturday. I thought they were legit so I didn't go thru my usual inspection process.

Ive since discovered rusty rocker panels (with holes) and learned the truck was in Michigan in 2003-2005

The dealership won't do anything about the rust or the holes.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with the current problem but other members that are in a "salt" state have had issues with the grounds that are behind the two front kick panels. You may want to take a look at yours.

And if you watched the X Files when it was on - live by the motto "trust no one"...

Last edited: