Newbie needing some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoscoP

Reaction score
I've been a stalker on here for the past month and have learned a ton on my recent purchase...2003 Expedition...Eddie Bauer. You guys have saved me from soooo much work. Let me say I hope to contribute as well, not just post and leave.

I bought it from the dealership, it was a repo and they said it had a blown motor...nope. Blown plug yes. It had been repaired, poorly, so I got a Calvan Insert kit and repaired it, along with all the other plugs and coils...runs like a top...mostly. Here are the problems I'm fighting now and can't figure out....

1) It has the infamous heated/ac seat controls are dead. All fuses are good....Has to be hooked up to a computer to repair right?

2) cruise is dead...fuses are fine. Pressure Switch? I can't find anything deffinative on how to check the switch since it has 3 wires instead of the two...also, there is a small vacuum line hanging out, un attached, next to the air filter and by the cruise control servo. For the life of me I can't find a spot where it would go and nothing on the servo motor either? Unsure of how to proceed. I did find out the motor dies the moment you put it in reverse if the pressure switch is unplugged...

3) shuddering transmission, but I'm not worried about that actually. lol

So any help would be appreciated. And howdy!

Kermit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you replace/check the clock spring in the steering wheel to repair/restore cruise? My 99 expy had a dead cruise when I bough it, it was the clock spring.

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are two schools of thought on diagnosing problems. The first is what I call "parts tossers". They keep replacing what they think is wrong until they get to the actual failed part. Then pat themselves on the back for the "good job".

The second type determines information through testing that proves a failed part then replace and verify correct operation. This normally will save costs on parts but can be labor intensive on the odd failures. I've spent hours chasing electrical faults on school buses.

Not picking on Kermit - only replace the clock spring if proven it has failed. Also only experienced mechanics should work around / with air bags. I tell the students that they are small bombs and will injure or kill you if mishandled.

Last edited:

rex450se

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have power adjustable pedals? From my understanding, if those aren't working, the cruise won't work either.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pics of the hose and whatever else will help...for the cruise...im trying to figure out what was wrong with mine...I had to replace something but cant remember